A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

"E!"

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 12:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I see that production change date in several references, and my A4, built....

11/2002, has the 7/2003> crankcase ventilation/vacuum system updated design configuration. Can anyone explain how this is possible?
Old 01-17-2007, 01:28 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi....

After owning Audi's for over 25 years, I can tell you they dont follow their own rules.

I've physically seen various models with odd configurations not detailed any where, and mix & matched parts totally out of sequence from their own guidelines.

While the 7/2003 date maybe the official date, Audi may have snuck a few in there before hand.

It goes along with their testing of aluminum I5 engine blocks on an unsuspecting public. ;O)
Old 01-17-2007, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LIke some other OEMs I know. :-) The latter date could be a "known clean date"

while prior to that could be a mix of engines.

That, or something simple like a typo.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I believe "less peppy", is a perception caused by a smoother engine ...

possibly the results from less variation in ignition quality, and reduced cycle to cycle ignition point scatter, provided by the "E" coils.
The B6 Bremi coils, and the B5 Hitachi coils, both use inductive coupling between the coil primary windings, and the coil secondary windings to generate the high secondary voltage delivered to the spark plug. In fact, the larger physical size of the secondary coil winding, and the larger magnetic cross section existing in the B5 coils, and considering all other conditions equal, will provide more spark energy compared to the Bremi B6 version coilpack.
The Hitachi coilpack is a more expensive part to manufacture compared to the B6 style coils. The B6 style coilpacks do not have better technical specifications or advanced ignition characteristics compared to the B5 style coilpacks.
As explained above, the physical size of the Hitachi coils is consistant with higher amounts of energy available to be discharged by the spark occurring at the the spark plug electrodes.

AFAIK, no relevant factual evidence exists supporting the validity or accuracy of the prior statements made of the alleged "lower power" capability of the Hitachi coils.

FWIW, after I installed a set of the Ignition Solutions modified Hitachi coilpacks, I experienced a similar perception that the performance on my car was softened a small amount. Considering the available secondary energy output of the "N"> Bremi coils and the IS/Hitachi coils, I know that the modified Hitachi coilpacks have more total spark energy dissipation during the ignition event, not less.
This is the reasoning behind my comments regarding the smoother running engine with the Hitachi coils as the likely reason for the perceived decreased engine response in you experience.