A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

04 arrival....contemplating again

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 arrival....contemplating again

Hi all,

I am a first time poster, long time reader of the board. I have really enjoyed reading all of the information, advice and opinions from all of you. Now that my time to shine is soon approaching, I have some questions I hope that
some of you seasoned A4 owners might answer.

After many months of contemplation between a new 1.8t and 325, or a used A4 3.0 or 330i, I have finally settled on a new 1.8tq manual. Weighing all of the variables has really been a difficult decision. It felt so good to have finally made my decision. I was ready to pull the trigger on the purchase in the next week or two. I went down to the local dealer to scout it out and he confirmed to me that there were no updates/changes for the 04'. He also "dangled the carrot" with the enticing 2.9% financing available and the push to move the 03's out the door. He told me that I could save around $1800 by purchasing a new 03 before the 04's start rolling in.

Now that I have found out what the new features will REALLY be in the 04, I find myself at the crossroads again.

1)
From what I understand as of today June 03' 2003 the 1.9% is gone. Any ideas on how long the 2.9% will carry for? Will Audi drop this with the arrival of the 04's ?

2)
It appears most people agree that the base price may rise because of the new features.
Between a potential base price hike, a higher APR due to new models, a smaller 04 inventory, and less incentive to move vehicles, I would like to hear some speculation
(or facts) on how much more the 04 will cost me in 2-4 months as opposed to an 03 now.

3)
If I decide to hold out for the 04' I assume the most efficient way to proceed is to put
my name on a list with a deposit? When you are on a waiting list, especially
before official pricing has been released, do you still have the flexibility to bargain
once the vehicle arrives or are you stuck with msrp ?

4)
Also I would like to hear from any 03 owners who were on a waiting list, or purchased as soon as they became available: Were the dealers less willing to negotiate on the new model year? What was the availability of vehicles like the first 2 months the 03's were out? Was it difficult to find your options/colors?

5) The dealer told me that he had been getting the 2.9% for people with FICO scores "In the Mid 600's". My score is 633,639,645 at equifax, experian, and transunion respectively. However There are four high balance credit card accounts that I have just closed that have yet to be reported. I am no financial person but I am hoping that this will give my FICO a boost up into the 650+ Range. Has anyone been able to get any of Audi prime rates with a score between 630~650 or did you need to be in the 720+ club in order to qualify?
Old 06-03-2003, 01:15 PM

wow, so long.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default My dealer said Audi denied the me for the 2.9% offer, I had a 672. (m)

He was obviously not telling the truth, as I got the 2.9% a month later from another dealer. You should be ok, but it just depends on AoA financials decision.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: 04 arrival....contemplating again

I have a 720 rating and got 2.9% on my a4 5 months ago, but got the impression from the sales manager that they were making the better rates available to everyone with 650 or higher.

I think you are more likely to negotiate a good rate (whether from AoA or your local bank) than you are to get a deep discount on an '04.

aH
Old 06-03-2003, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Can't answer all the questions, but here's some insight

1) The interest rates vary all the time, but odds are they won't drop it that soon, especially with a new model out.

2) No matter how you cut it, the 03 will be cheaper. The closer we get to the 04s getting to the ports, the more anxious dealers get about getting 03s off the lot. They'll do anything. I remember when I went with my brother to get his Jetta, they gave him SO MUCH THANKS for taking an 02 off their hands, hell, they gave him about $300 worth of VW stuff. However, the 2004 A4 has some cool features coming that the 2003 did not like you said.

3) Not sure.

4) I know that with my brother, he wanted a 2003 Jetta. BIG problem, they only had two out of the 10 or 12 possible colors in, they had weird configs. Then again, whatever stock of 2003 A4s the dealer has left at this point may not be the most popular cars to get off the lot. You're in a transitional time. If you want to be sure to get what you want, order a 2004- otherwise, well, dealer trades are an option but you're still subject to whatever the dealers have left of 03 and whatever Audi has decided to let them have first for 04.

5) I'm an MIS/Marketing major sorry
Old 06-03-2003, 01:25 PM

where are you located? if you are in LA, CA visit Simon at Keyes Van Nuys
Old 06-03-2003, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There are changes for '04. Do a search for the order guides.

1.Yes, Audi frequently offers less of an incentive when they launch the new model year. That may not mean the incentive goes away entirely, it just may not be quite so attractive.

2. Well, sales prices always go up in the Summer. More demand. So that '03 will likely cost a little more than it did back in Feb. Especially given that some models will become scarce and some people have hard deadlines, so they can't afford to wait. Is it going to be a huge difference ? Probably not. It's more important to make sure you get the right options and colours than worry about a few hundred dollars - we see people every now and then trying to swap a car they bought because they bought price, and not because it was something they wanted. Choose wisely.

3. You should do all bargaining before you place your deposit. You will usually end up agreeing to pay X amount over invoice - whatever invoice happens to be. A dealer who takes a deposit without negotiating the sale price might not be a dealer you want to work with.

4. Location, inventory, demand, time of year. Every situation is fluid. Any information you pick up here can only be used a reference, and not to be considered a rule. Too many variables. Average rate has been 3 to 5% over invoice.

5. Realistically you should be in the high 600 or low 700 for the best rates. Much depends on if and what kind of derogatory credit you may have, and the credit depth ( length of history and large items purchased ). The dealer can do what they call a "pre-check" which allows you to see where you would qualify under the current programn. Don't do this often, or it will lower your score. Once your car is almost here, the dealer can lock in the current best rates for up to 30 days.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My advise...

First of all, go to someone other than the salesman that "lied" to you about no changes and how you'll save $1,800 purchasing an '03 instead of an '04. Typical salesman BS! Next, knowing the changes for the new model year, decide if you want to wait. Interest rates/financing deals aren't going up/away anytime soon. If you want what you want, just order and get it in 3-4 months. As far as price, shoot for 4-4.5% below MSRP. Or check Edmunds for TMV.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:31 PM

Default Re: 04 arrival....contemplating again

if you're in southern california.. try downtown VW/Audi/Porsche.. i just purchased my 03 a4 this weekend there and received an apr of 2.59% when they originally quoted me 2.9% .. it may be b/c i have a 700 score though.. doesnt hurt to go and try w/ them tho.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:46 PM

Default Re: wow, so long.

I know....But I need to be sure as I can about this.