A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

1.8T or 3.0?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2002, 08:35 AM
JZd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.8T or 3.0?

I'm thinking about buying an A4 later next year. I really love the car, but I'm not sure whether I should get the 1.8T in multitronic or 3.0 in multitronic. I definitely want leather (at least seating surfaces) as well as a power driver's seat which will become available when I plan to buy. I need to have denim blue (an extra $450) and the Bose system ($650). I don't really care for the homelink or the sunroof though that come with the premium in the 1.8 and I at least want 16" rims.

My calucations end up like this:
If I were to get the 1.8, MSRP would be $29650
3.0: 32690.

Roughly $3000 for the better engine, metal window sills, and wood trim (I love its look on Platinum).

Plus, I plan to keep this car for at least 7 years and I think the 3.0 might be more reliable.

One last thing: I'm not really into modifying cars. I usually take everything as stock so no chip for me. But, on the other hand, the 1.8 has more than enough performance for me.

Sorry for taking your time, but I'd love to hear your ideas.
Old 09-01-2002, 08:44 AM

if you don't want to modify I would choose the 3.0 for all-around good perfoemance
Old 09-01-2002, 09:10 AM

Default Re: 1.8T or 3.0?

I chose the 1.8t because it had enough power to move the car even with quattro. Not a mod freak and plan to keep it mostly stock. The stock stereo is very good, Bose gives you an extra 60 watts or so, sound pretty much the same to me. Sport Package is a worth while option if you like your ride firm although the standard car rides nicely as is. Fuel economy is pretty good as well for the 1.8t. If only Audi would make them a bit better (fuel economy) with the performance intact, then I would look at the 3.0. Any one you choose will keep you happy! Good luck to you when the time comes!
Old 09-01-2002, 09:31 AM

Default Comments I've read indicate that the 3.0 is a smoother match for the Multitronic.

Remember though, that when it comes to the nitty-gritty of actually buying, it's awfully hard to pass up on the upgrade packages. Your $32,690 could very well end up as closer to 35 or 36K. On the other hand, your patience and self disipline may be considerably better than mine.

One other point, if you buy from what's available on the lot, you may not be able to find a 3.0 without sunroof, etc. You may have to custom order thus taking away the possibility of a real good deal on a 'late in the model year' car that's been sitting around the display area for a while.
Old 09-01-2002, 11:06 AM

Default It's Your Personal Preference

Go and drive both, I did and I have a 3.0. It has lots of power and the options available were what I was looking for, more so than the 1.8T which I also found a bit more work to drive.

I would think that the 3.0 would be a better match for multitronic, but I have the 6-speed so not really any experience in that area.

They are both great cars, get the one you like.
Old 09-01-2002, 11:25 AM

it money is not an issue, get the 3.0!
Old 09-01-2002, 12:37 PM

Default Re: 1.8T or 3.0?

I drove them both back-to-back, the 3.0 had plenty of power even with the quattro, I found the 1.8 had less power than I wanted. I suspect with a manual transmission or the new CVT, on a front-wheel drive car, the 1.8 may have been just about enough for me, with the auto and the quattro, the 3.0 was the only choice, in my opinion. I too wouldn't think of chipping the car, I'd take it the way Audi made it.
Old 09-01-2002, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I was in in your position..

Your preferences sound exactly like mine. I wanted the CVT Multitronic and test drove both the 1.8T and 3.0 version. I thought I could save some money with the 1.8T but found it to hesitate too much from standstills. I finally decided upon the 3.0 CVT and am ordering that. I'm ordering the following..

3.0 CVT Multitronic
Silver Metallic Paint/Platinum
Heated Seats
Bose Stereo

As you can see I'm not loading up on a lot of extras. I specifically didn't want the sunroof because I like the extra couple of inches of head room. I'm not in any hurry for the car and should have my car in 3-4 months.

Good luck in your decision. Best thing to do is drive both engines back to back.
Old 09-01-2002, 07:18 PM
JZd

Thanks for the advice... it's nice knowing I'm not the only one that has this issue
Old 09-01-2002, 07:33 PM

Default If you live in the area with lots of hot weather, get 3.0...

I got 1.8 CVT and love it. Most of time my car is driven by me alone (no passengers) so I have enough power. But the 1.8t suffers from lag when taking off dead-stop. In hot weather (80F+) it becomes annoying -- it is noticeable even with only one person in the car. The hotter it is -- the more lag.

As others said -- Test Drive both! Good luck.

PS. You never take anyone's time on a public forum. People read and post here only if they have time, and/or want to help. You're always welcome!

PPS. although it is always a good idea to do a search

Quick Reply: 1.8T or 3.0?