A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

2002 A4 3.0 CVT or 2002 Acura TL Type-S

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 A4 3.0 CVT or 2002 Acura TL Type-S

I am getting another car in 2 months, stuck on either a Audi A4 3.0 CVT or a Acura TL Type-S.

Is the CVT transmission any good? What is the 0-60 on the A4 3.0 CVT? I currently own a Audi A6 and like it, but dont know if I should get another Audi or go with a TL Type-S.
Any suggestions/tips would help
Old 12-28-2001, 03:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2002 A4 3.0 CVT or 2002 Acura TL Type-S

I currently own a 2002 TL type S w/navigation. What makes the TL better is the nice layout, great navigation w/screen, and price. The Acura is a great overall value. If you want luxury and prestige, I would get the audi. Japanese and German designs are completely different.
Old 12-28-2001, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default The Acura is a great transportation device for point A to B. The Audi just moves you. Period.

This has been debated at length on the A6 forum.

The Acura shares a great deal with the Accord but with extra bells and whistles. This is not a bad thing as most people just want a commuter car with some extra luxury touches. A great value and easy to use.

The Audi ( as you know ) is a different animal. Yes, some of it's genes have leaked downward to the Passat in past generations, however that is changing with the new 8E A4. The next gen Passat will have a transverse engine arrangement ( hence the W8 engine ) shared with the upcoming Golf platform. The difference is leak-down, not dressed up. Audi is the top and stuff trickles down. Acura often uses Honda platforms and technology whilst adding leather and some extra buttons. This is not a bad thing depending on your priorities.

The Audi appeals to drivers. It appeals to people who care about details. It appeals to people who care about intanglibles. It appeals to people who might want extra safety in snow or bad weather via QTR.

Are those things important to you ? What will the car used for ? And by whom ? Will they appreciate the difference ?

Drive both back to back on the same day so that you have the same mood and the same weather and a fresh context. Make sure to make an appointment with an ABS and the Acura equivelent if there is one.
Old 12-28-2001, 04:36 PM

Default OT: April...is frank on vacation? I emailed him w/ some ?'s regarding

the Abt sideskirts for the A4 (pre 02) and he hasn't responded. Figured he was on vacation. BTW what's the retail price on them? TIA
Old 12-28-2001, 04:43 PM

Default I drove them both and the Audi hands down the Acura has no soul

no feel, boring to drive, brakes are minimal and until you drive the CVT you won't have any idea of how good it really is, hands down the Audi, just drove them both this week, I do have an S4 so I might be biased but the Audi is just more car.
Old 12-28-2001, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

I just got back to NorCal. Did you mail him direct or via sales mail ?
Old 12-28-2001, 05:25 PM

Via sales...
Old 12-28-2001, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

I'll ask him to check tonight.
Old 12-28-2001, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I have a CL Type-S ...looking at the 02' A4.... (more)

I really enjoy my 2001 CL Type-S... it's fast, handles well, the interior is simple yet elegant and sporty... but, it does not have quite the handling, ride and some of the bells and whistles of the new A4. I drove a new A4 3.0Q 6 speed last week and loved it. The Acura is faster...no question, but the A4 is more fun to drive...as well as handling (w/the obvious advantage of Quattro) was better than that of the Acura. The A4 has more spirit and more agility (perfect for curvy back roads)...whereas the Acura is perfect for highway driving..easy lane changes, etc... I think the choice mostly depends on what type of driving you do... The tiptronic transmission on the Acura is very nice..smooth, etc... but the 6 speed of the A4 was alot more fun (in my opinion). One thing that I noticed when I test drove the A4...is that it revs quite a bit higher than my CL. The CL is amazing at doing 80 mph and revving at only 2200-2300 rpms or so...whereas the Audi seemed to be revving at 3000-3100 at that speed (in sixth gear). Otherwise, since driving the new A4, I have thought about trading in my CL. It's difficult, because I'm not dissapointed with the CL, but I'm definitely someone who appreciates fine handling and agility...which the A4 has down to a science. I think I will be moving into an A4 within the next few months.
Old 12-28-2001, 07:01 PM

Default I sell Acuras, and I drive an A4. They are as different as could be!

The TL-S is an amazing value: 260hp thru one of the best 5spd automatics, 17" Michelins, VSA (ESP), Bose 6 cd, xenons, memory seats, sun, metalic paint, leather, 4/50 warranty, real room for 4 adults, mid 6's 0-60, all for less than $32k! For reliable, fast transportation, there isn't anything close for the money.

The A4 can be dressed up like a TL-S (at close to $40k while only delivering 220hp). But even the least expensive A4 has a level of purpose, quality of materials, execution of design, and a feeling of integration with the driver that the TL-S will never enjoy.

I've had significant problems with my A4 during the 3 years I've owned it; problems that Acura owners would almost never have to put up with. But I'm seriosly thinking about about my next A4!

Quick Reply: 2002 A4 3.0 CVT or 2002 Acura TL Type-S