A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

2002 Audi A4 vibrating

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Audi A4 vibrating

I have a 2002 Audi A4 3.0 and for some reason the whole car seems to vibrate while it's in gear of D or R with brake applied. It only does it when the car is in gear and standing still. When I shift to P or N it goes away. The car seem to drive fine and I don't notice any vibration white the car is moving. Any suggestions on what it could be.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Engine or tranny mounts? If you are in Drive or Reverse and holding the brake, try increasing the engine RPMs to around 1000 and see if the vibration goes away. Reason this makes sense is when you put the car in Park or Neutral, the RPM bumps a little (should be about 850 to 900) because the engine is not "loaded" down with the torque converter which may take is out of a resonate vibration. I know on the 1.8t, there is a resonance at about 800 RPM that can be very irritating if you engine mounts are going or gone. Not sure the numbers on the 3.0...
Old 08-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hello, I have the same problem..vibration..I have a 2002 A4 3.0 manual and its vibrating when is on neutral. I can fell a small vibration and also sounds a little like a diesel engine..any ideas? (And I dont hear a metallic sound from the engine - for a response to the valve problem). Thanks
Old 08-06-2012, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My response would be the same as below: does it go away at slightly increased RPM? have you looked at your engine and transmission mounts?
Old 08-06-2012, 05:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry, Yes it goes away. And no, I didnt look, but I will. Also the clutch was changed 500 miles ago. Thanks
Old 08-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hello again..so I looked at the mounts and they seem to be fine..It is a good thing if the vibration is out with the increase of RPMs? What else could it be? Also..how can I choose an auto service? (I don;t have an audi dealer on a range of 100 miles and I also don't have the money for it).
Old 08-06-2012, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

You can't see the condition of the mounts with out looking closely at the bottom of the mount while under the car. Black streaks that look like dried dark liquid means the mounts are shot.

Also don't forget to check the front snub mount to see if its centered

If you are convinced its not the mounts then check for a vac leak.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok, thank you for your response. I will do that. But for my other question..It's a "good sign" that the vibration "stops" when I hit a little bit the gas pedal? I was more afraid of some part from the engine will fail..(I dont have any code)
Old 08-07-2012, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Not really either good or bad; it just tells you the it is likely your mounts. What happens when you raise the RPM is the engine is no longer at a resonant frequency that you feel. The whole point to the mounts is to isolate you from those vibrations, but it does nothing to quell the engine itself from creating the vibrations which by the way are not harmful to the engine.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Since I'm having the same problem, vibration at idle or park while in gear, but goes away immediately upon acceleration, does anyone have pictures of what the trans mounts look like so when I finally get under to look at mine, I can check? And a replacement write up? My engine mounts look fine, but I did replace the snub myself a few months back. Is it possible that's not totally seated and causing this? I know it's tighten down.

Quick Reply: 2002 Audi A4 vibrating