A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

2003 1.8 Avant - Weird problems (stalls on starting, climate control, wipers, remote)...any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 1.8 Avant - Weird problems (stalls on starting, climate control, wipers, remote)...any ideas?

My 3 month old 2003 1.8 Avant with less than 3200 miles is displaying some really weird symptoms.

A few weeks after taking delivery, I went to the garage one morning, started it and it stalled. The engine revved to about 2k rpm and then promptly died. Started it again and everything was fine. A few days later the same thing happened. Over the past 3 months this has happened a total of 12 times. It doesn't seem to be linked to engine temperature (the car can sit for 24 hours or 10 minutes after running for 2 hours) or outside temperature (50 degrees in the garage or 20 degrees while sitting at work). It also doesn't appear to be due to brands of gas as I have tried many flavors (all 91+ octane) from numerous locations. The dealer suggested trying the other key and it stalls with that key too, although not as frequently.

When the engine starts and doesn't stall, it will sometimes skip around the rpm range, going from 2000 to 1000 to 1500 to 1000 all in a few seconds. This seems to happen more often when the engine is cold than hot, but this behavior is puzzling nonetheless.

The climate control settings appear to be acting a little screwy. One evening, I jumped into the car to find the temperature controls were set at 75, however, when I left the car the temperature was set at 70 and 71 (driver, passenger). This happened to me again after leaving work one day. I started the car, got out to clean off some snow and when I got back in the temperatures were set at 81 whereas I had them set to 73 when I started the car.

The intermittent wiper settings do not follow intuition. I'm really just looking for confirmation on this, but mine wipes more frequently when the switch is set all the way up (long dash) and less frequently when all the way down (short dash). On other cars I have owned, the length of the dash is related to the length of the delay...therefore it appears as though mine is backwards. Is this correct?

At lastly, this morning I went out to the car, clicked the unlock button on the remote and nothing happened. I tried the lock button and nothing. The trunk button, nothing. I grabbed the other key and the remote worked fine. Over lunch I ran to the dealer, figuring the battery in the remote had died, but the service guys seemed to think the car just didn't recognize the key. Throughout the day, I tried the bum remote a few times, but nothing happened. When I left work this evening, I tried the remote and it worked!

Has anyone experienced similar symptoms and what was the fix (to any or all of these problems)? Could all of these problems be tied to the same component in the electrical system?
Old 02-26-2003, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wipers are normal. The key issue and the stall on start may be the immobilizer flaking out. All

your troubles compounded sound like you have "gremlins" in your car. I'd have the service department do a thorough electrical inspection of the car under warranty.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I had the Key Fob problem

somehow the one remote lost its coding with the car's computer so it stopped working. I took it in to the dealer and they reprogrammed both my keys. Everything has been fine ever since.

I guess I've never looked at the windshield wiper stalk to see the delays. But since you mention it, yes, you're right, longer dash should mean longer delay.