A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

2003 A4 media/navigation system issues..

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 A4 media/navigation system issues..

Hi All, new here.. with my 1st ever Audi (2003 1.8T Quattro S-Line)
My A4 was originally new in Japan, now here in NZ. I purchased it for the handling, ride and good looks

So, now I own it (purchased unseen), I notice the 'multimedia and navigation' system's touch screen hardly ever responds to commands (ie - touching the screen). Is this normal? Is there a trick to using all it's features? Or, do I have a dead media/navigation system? (to be accurate, radio & nav. system does work.. they just don't respond to most touch-screen commands)

Also, Any idea where I can find a pdf file on how to operate the media/nav. system.. and for that matter, a user's (or service) manual for the car itself? Having been through many hands, the manuals are long gone.

Despite this issue, the car looks great, goes great and handles beautifully.. (the actual reasons I purchased it). But it would be even better if I could get this media/nav. system to cooperate..
looking forward to any advice from those in the know.
Cheers (from NZ)
Old 06-26-2018, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 297 Likes on 240 Posts

Don't think that generation of Nav system was ever touch screen.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Audi4Fun
Don't think that generation of Nav system was ever touch screen.
Thank you for your reply A4Audi4Fun...
in 'radio' mode, the top quarter of the screen (arrows left and right) can be pressed to scroll through preset radio stations..
also, further down on the screen, I can press 'function' buttons displayed on the screen and get a audible 'beep' (acknowledging the pressing of those 'screen buttons'), but the unit doesn't follow through on the command you'd expect it would having pressed those buttons. Where a screen may display 6 functions, 3 functions might beep when pressed, but none (except for the radio station preset selection described above) actually do anything.

Being a car with many owners, the user's/operation manuals are long gone. I'd be tempted to press the system's recessed 'reset' button, but I am concerned I may need to provide a security code number to get it going again.. the code is obviously long gone, along with the operation manual. Did I read somewhere that the navigation systems recognize when they are still in their original cars? Meaning, a power cut or resetting the (radio/navigation) system wont require security code input (providing the system is still in the same car)?

Attached (hopefully) is a pic of the radio/navigation system I am struggling with. If anyone knows for sure if it should be a touch-screen operation system, I'd love to know. Also, if anyone has the user's/operation manual for the system (and/or for the car itself), I'd also love to get my hands on a copy.

Thanks all in advance..
Drew

2003 A4 Quattro (Japanese import) navigation system.. is it touch screen? (yes, I know its shown in 'reverse' mode)
Old 07-17-2018, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 297 Likes on 240 Posts

Could be wrong, but that doesn't look like an Audi OEM Nav system to me; maybe you can remove it from the centre console and see what part number is shown on it