A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

2003 A4: Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 A4: Need help!

So I have a 2003 Audi A4 1.8t quattro 5 speed manual. We did a transmission swap and as far and me and my mechanic are concerned we did it right. Now all of a sudden when I try to drive it it has absolutely no power. My old transmission lost 3rd and 4th gear so we bought a used transmission and installed it. The shifter is stiff but I do have 1-5 gears and reverse. But when I drive it the rpms go up, my boost is running 5-15 psi depending on the rpms but then car does not accelerate as it did before even with the broken transmission. I checked all the sensors and all the vacuum hoses/seals. Anyone have any thoughts on what could be my problem? In desperate need of help. Could it be my clutch? A bad used transmission? Or is it engine related? Like I said my brother and I are back years mechanics so we can run through the possibilities just don’t now where to start.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same tranmission code or gearing as original? Throwing any codes? Possible you installed flywheel 180 degrees out.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

I recently did a clutch replacement on my 02 1.8T 5 speed. The slipping clutch is what prompted the removal of the transmission. Your description indicates your clutch is slipping. Did you inspect the clutch and/or replace it while in there? Possibly the slave cylinder rod is not seated properly causing the clutch to be slightly engaged all the time? How does the clutch pedal feel? Do you smell a burning clutch? The stiffness in the gear selector is strange though.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by junkyard
Same tranmission code or gearing as original? Throwing any codes? Possible you installed flywheel 180 degrees out.

I only have a pocket size reader and and it only checks check engine codes I believe. It’s the same gbt transmission that was in it beforehand.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ranson
I recently did a clutch replacement on my 02 1.8T 5 speed. The slipping clutch is what prompted the removal of the transmission. Your description indicates your clutch is slipping. Did you inspect the clutch and/or replace it while in there? Possibly the slave cylinder rod is not seated properly causing the clutch to be slightly engaged all the time? How does the clutch pedal feel? Do you smell a burning clutch? The stiffness in the gear selector is strange though.
i did not inspect the clutch now do I know how to. The clutch worked fine prior to do the work. I just purchased the vehicle January 9iyh and. By the 14th I lost 3rf and 4th. When we got the old transmission out there wasn’t a drop of fluid in it. I also recently realized we over filled the transmission to the fill hole that is a star bit locates on top of the transmission instead of the hex Bolt located more towards the bottom. Could the overfill be the cause of my issue or could it be the clutch and overfill together? Maybe gear oil leaking from the top of transmission into the clutch area?

Last edited by RJ Smith; 02-14-2020 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I do smell a burning smell but I can’t tell if it’s extra fluid/greaser burning off or if it’s the clutch. I’m not a novice to this stuff. My car just doesn’t go like it did even when it had the broken transmission in. It’s throwing a code for overboost condition which was also there prior to doing the work