A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

3.0 Brake Suggestions???

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.0 Brake Suggestions???

I am replacing the front brakes on my 3.0, and I am wondering what a good setup would be. I am not looking for anything special just a good aftermarket setup for around the cost of OEM products. For pads I am considering Axxis, Hawk, and Carbotech Bobcats. Ideally I would like something with wear sensors. Does Carbotech offer pads with sensors?

As for rotors I am not at all sure. I looked at ECS. There stock replacements look nice. Any other suggestions on rotors?

Thank you in advance.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Default I love my Hawk Performance Ceramics, great braking with OEM rotors

Depends on what you are going to use your car for.

For an upgrade in braking power I find these pads are great (read the Tire Rack reviews). Great pedal feel, quiet, and almost zero brake dust. The hotter they get the better they work. The initial bit is much, much better than the OEM pads. I feel I can almost stop on a dime from 60-70 mph speeds. And yes they have the electrical connector. Only front brakes on the car have the wear connector not the backs. So you only need front pads with the connector. And remember if you replace your own pads the rear pistons need to be pushed and turned at the same time to retract, no just using a C-clamp here!!!!<ul><li><a href="http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AR4&amp;url=%2Fbrakes%2Fbrakes.jsp%3Fmake% 3DHawk%26amp%3Bmodel%3DPerformance%2BCeramic%2BPad s">http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Hawk&amp;model=Performance+Ceramic +Pads</a></li></ul>
Old 06-04-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Bob you convinced me on the pads, can you explain a little more about the rear pistons?

Hawks defintely seem like the way to go. I am really only looking for great everday performance. Any thoughts on rotors?

Also, could you explain a little more on the rear pistons. I am only changing the fronts if that matters any. Thanks again.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Default Sure.........

The rear piston needs to be pushed in and rotated at the same time to catch the threads or whatever is in there and the piston will retract. There is a special tool for this that works wonderfully and sold by Harbor Freight. See link below. You may get away by pushing and turning with needle nose plier tips inserted into the two notches on the face of the piston but I never seen that work too well. Then there is a socket head sold by Pep Boys and others that fits again the piston notches but on other ocassions I used so much force twisting and turning I felt I was going to break every bone in my hand and still did not retract the pistons. Then there are Auto stores that will rent you the Harbor type tool.

I bought the Harbor tool, guess how pleasureable it is to change pads with it!<ul><li><a href="http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40732">http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40732</a</li></ul>
Old 06-04-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Ahh it makes sense now...

I thought when you said rear piston you ment that I would have to pull the rear brakes. Thanks for the heads up I was plannin gon using a C-clamp.