A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

3.0 - funky high, firm brake pedal action when starting? (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.0 - funky high, firm brake pedal action when starting? (kinda long)

Hey all,

I've noticed this happen a few times now. Today it was almost dangerous. Anyway, typically if I park on level ground I'll just leave the car in first gear -- parking brake always for inclined parking. It's the parking on level ground, only using first gear situations I'm concerned about...

A few times now I've noticed that when I depress the clutch and brake pedals to start the car that the brake pedal is like all the way up and pressing pretty hard on it barely gets it to move *at all* -- and there's like zero pressure between the pads and the rotors, as the car ever-so-slightly rolls. I've noticed this several times now, but I don't think it happens every time. As soon as the engine starts, the brake booster kicks in and the pedal drops down to "where it should be" given the amount of pressure I'm applying.

I know I use the brakes and that the brake pedal is pressed down when I turn the car off -- but it's as if something pulls the pistons back and brings the brake pedal back to the top of its travel... Weird.

Anyway, today this happened, and I was parked in a parking garage with a pretty-close-to-level surface, and when I went to start the car in that few fractions of a second when the clutch and brake are depressed but the car isn't yet running, the car started to roll forward, and get a little too close to the concrete wall in front of me! Luckily the engine started and the brakes became effective in time. But not so nice.

Am I supposed to really stomp on the brake pedal when I'm parking or something? I've parked this way forever, with a bunch of different cars, now that I spent $40k on a car, it frickin' rolls when I go to start it! Too funny.

If anyone else has experienced this, please post!

Thanks,

Brian
Old 07-30-2002, 04:31 PM

Default Re: 3.0 - funky high, firm brake pedal action when starting? (kinda long)

Definitely go to Audi service and let them check what the heck is going on, for the mean time, I suggest that you leave your parking brakes activated while your starting your car.

Good Luck..
Old 07-30-2002, 05:11 PM

Default I think that's normal coz mine are like that too...1.8T tho...must be same... i guess

mine does that but i have my handbrake on whenever i started it..
Old 07-30-2002, 06:11 PM

Why don't have your hand break applied when starting your engine?
Old 07-30-2002, 07:34 PM

Default Uhm ...

that seems pretty normal to me, there's no vacuum in the brake booster yet... ? Start your car with handbrake engaged.