A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

A4 3.0 quattro problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 09:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 3.0 quattro problems

So sometimes when im driving my car feels like it doesnt have as much power as it should or used to and when im climbing up a steep hill my car makes a vibrating like feel and the cabin shakes. I thought this could be a misfire as it wasnt that bad, but on a recent trip to big bear it seemed like it got worse with the elevation. Maybe this is the axles? What does it feel like when your axles need to be replaced.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When is the last time you changed your spark plugs? Fuel filter? Are you using regular or premium gas? Manual or automatic tranny? Does it make any sounds, or just the vibration? Does it idle funny? Does it only do it under load? Or all the time? Only at low rpm, or all through the power band?
Need a little more info
Old 01-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jordonb
When is the last time you changed your spark plugs? Fuel filter? Are you using regular or premium gas? Manual or automatic tranny? Does it make any sounds, or just the vibration? Does it idle funny? Does it only do it under load? Or all the time? Only at low rpm, or all through the power band?
Need a little more info
im not too sure about the spark plugs, but i had all the ignition coils replaced about 4 months ago and i havent replaced the fuel filter ever since i bought the car a year and a half ago. It doesnt make any sounds it just makes that vibrating feel on the gas pedal and it kinda has a little shake when its idle that was never there. Also the check engine light was on for a day or two and then went away for about 2 days and now its back on. For the RPM's it starts that vibration at around 2 rpms and up
Old 01-24-2011, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't sound like axles to me....
If you can, get your car scanned and post up the codes so we can give you the best advice. Beyond that:
I would recommend starting with changing (or at least checking) your spark plugs. Fuel filter should be changed about every 40k, so that wouldn't hurt either. Also verify that your air filter is in good shape. And that the air passageway into the airbox is clear and free of debris. Another "free" maintenance thing you can do is cleaning your throttle body. You may even want to try a seafoam treatment.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jordonb
It doesn't sound like axles to me....
If you can, get your car scanned and post up the codes so we can give you the best advice. Beyond that:
I would recommend starting with changing (or at least checking) your spark plugs. Fuel filter should be changed about every 40k, so that wouldn't hurt either. Also verify that your air filter is in good shape. And that the air passageway into the airbox is clear and free of debris. Another "free" maintenance thing you can do is cleaning your throttle body. You may even want to try a seafoam treatment.
Ive also noticed that when I turn the steering wheel it feels like its going over a bumpy road and it doesnt need an alignment, and maybe after ten to fifteen minutes after driving when you accelerate it feels like its going over a bumpy road but when you take your foot off the gas its normal and when you go uphill it also has this same feeling. Also i was at the gas station this morning and my car was almost on empty so i just put twenty bucks in and during like the first dollar or so in gas it stopped and it spit the gas out WTFFFF!!!!! Has anyone ever heard of that happening it wasnt topped off and the gas nozzle was completely in. So i stopped and waited for the gas that didnt spill onto the floor to go back in the gas tank and then proceeded and again after like 3 or 4 seconds it stopped and spit some gas back out like the gas tank was full. I stopped and did this maybe once more then it took all the rest of the gas. But seriously what the heck was that.. thats never happened before.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Good catch. That sounds like vent system which could be related the power issue you describe becuase the fuel tank vent system is connected to your vacuum system. Take a look at the link below for some helpful hints.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...FCap+Issues+x2

Last edited by lyleswk; 01-27-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks a lot I really didnt think that this was as common as it is. I'll see what I can do.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I think your shaking problem could very well be an axle.

But that wouldn't cause a loss of power. Does it misfire or not? Does it rev smoothly in neutral?