A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

a42002 Stereo Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2002, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a42002 Stereo Upgrade?

Can anyone recomend an easy way to increase the speaker output on a 2002 a4 avant with the standard stereo?

I bought a 2002 1.8 Avant with the standard stereo becuase the Bose upgrade wasn't yet available -- -and boy do I regret it.

Although the sound quality is pretty good, it appears to dribble out of the speakers instead of pump - i need some more power - -would swapping out the standard amp do the trick? Thanks
Old 04-26-2002, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: a42002 Stereo Upgrade?

There's been threads here in the past about stereo upgrades, so you may want to try a search.

But, one note about the amp: on the standard sound system, the front speakers are driven by the head unit's internal amp, while the rears are driven by the trunk-mounted amp. You're going to have a little bit of a hard time swapping just the amp and getting better sound. (The Bose system runs all speakers off the trunk-mounted amp.)
Old 04-26-2002, 09:37 AM

This can be a long winded question. The simple answer for a simple radio is yes swaping your stock amp with anotherone will allow your speakers to generate a higher SPL (sound pressure level) by giving it more power so it can go louder.

On the other hand your stock speakers were not meant to have much more power then they came with so when you crank the system you will often lead to more distortion in your music's quality. The best and only way to combat distortion (other then play the radio lower) is to get higer end speakers. The best speakers to get are compoent speakers which split the different sound pitches( you can have subwoofers (lows), mid-woofers (mid-range), tweeter (high) and for the super audiophile super-tweeter (the super high range). The benefit of upgrading your speakers is that for all component systems they are matched with an optimal power rating to operate them (obviously the righer the power rating [RMS -cnstant power rating] and the wider the range the the more the speaker will cost). You can pick a max constant watt that you want for you system and build around that a system to fit your needs.

Just a forewarning by uping the amp you can blow out your stock speakers from the increased power level you are giving it (note: this will not always happen it depends on the power of the amp and how loud you play the radio). If you go for the lower priced idea just swap the amp first, because swapping you stock speakers for aftermarket ones as a first alternative is just a waste of your money since without the upgraded amp it will not be able to generate anymore power then your old stock speakers. If any of this was confusing post a reply and I will get back to you before the weekend if out. Also I'm sure many other people here can help you as well. Good Luck.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:43 AM

How about actually getting the Bose system made for the car? Any way of doing that?
Old 04-26-2002, 09:51 AM

Well, it's the same head unit, but you'd of course need the amp and you would have to re-run the wiring from the amp to the speakers and probably from the head unit to the amp. I'm also not sure whether the speakers are the same in the Bose system as in the regular system.
Old 04-26-2002, 10:06 AM

The alternative to buying the expensive OEM Bose amp and doing all that non-sense is to have a good car audio shop use the line outs from the stock head unit to an aftermarket amp in the trunk, then just run new wiring from that to new speakers. I *think* the coding of the head unit has to be changed to enable the Bose output (so that the line outs become active for fronts AND rears).
It's basically what you'd have to do for the Bose installation, but you'd get a better aftermarket amp.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure someone on here has done this already if you do a search.
Old 04-26-2002, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

The BOSE system does NOT use the same speakers. The impedence and some of the sizes of the speakers are completely different. You would be better off just getting a high end stereo shop to replace all of your factory speakers and install a new amp. Try getting some MB Quarts component speakers and a high end 4-6 channel amplifier. Good Luck.
Old 04-26-2002, 11:14 AM

I think I am gonna have to agree with hybrid. Although my preferences lean toward the L7's subs, Kanton highs and mids all powered by kicker amps. I have been into audi comp. for about 5 years, one a few small ama. comps but nothing hughe and during those 5 years the kicker line and the kanton line has done nothing but been good to me. But again it is all personal preference.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Where the trunk mounted amp is located? Also, where is the sub?
Old 04-27-2002, 07:07 AM

The amp is behind trunk lining over passenger side wheel well; "sub" is on hatshelf behind seats