A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Acceleration problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acceleration problem

Hey Guys:

So today morning I was driving to breakfast and it happened for the first time. I pressed the gas pedal and nothing happened, I mean literally RPM didn't change a bit, felt like the throttle cable is broken (even though I know it's a drive by wire). Releasing the gas pedal and pressing it again worked as expected. So I figured this was some sort of a minor glitch, but than it happened 2 more times during the day and I got really concerned. What if this "no throttle response" happens when you trying to make a left turn on intersection??? I'm going to call Audi first thing monday morning but wanted to find out if somebody experienced this problem before.

Igor
Old 06-08-2003, 04:39 PM

The cars drive by wire so no throttle cable to break...hmm, yeah, get it looked at ASAP.
Old 06-08-2003, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

do you have any CELs?
Old 06-08-2003, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No, check engine light never came on....
Old 06-08-2003, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

weird... def. go to the dealer
Old 06-08-2003, 05:07 PM
cpd
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default this happened to me three times while I had the car...

out west this winter in the rocky mountains. It was always just after starting. I would drive a few feet and then bam no throttle response. I would floor it , pump it, nothing. had to turn it off and on to get it in a normal state again. Never a CEL. Asked dealer about this and had the car serviced, they said it had to do with the extreme cold. It never did it before and it never did it after so I went with the cold and high altitude theory. Having this happen in normal conditions would concern me. Do you have a 1.8?
Old 06-08-2003, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's a long shot, but.....

On my CVT, if you are going fast enough and you slip the shifter into tiptronic mode, it will go into ratio "6" (on yours it would be gear 5). While in "gear" 6, if you press the gas pedal (depending on your current speed), nothing seems to happen because the resistance at that ratio is too much for the engine (1.8T) to noticeably overcome. Is it possible that you could have accidentally bumped the shifter into the manual mode and experienced this?

Did you depress the gas pedal all the way (i.e., to the floor, activating the transmission kickdown)?
Old 06-08-2003, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, I have 1.8T and I live in Chicago, which means none of the severe weather conditions apply...
Old 06-08-2003, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I didn't activate the kickdown, no, but I did press it all the way before the switch...
Old 06-09-2003, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default UPDATE: Today it happened again

Ok, so I went to get breakfast this morning and it happened again multiple times. I start to think that the problem is not with the engine or ECU it self, but with the actual switch next to the gas pedal which drives the throttle. When it happened I also tried to press all the way to activate kickdown switch and nothing happened, so I figured hey this must be the actual switch as there are no CELs. The most frustrating thing is this a 5K miles car which costs over 30K, wtf?

Anyhow, so here I'm calling Audi dealership. Service advisor basically said, until we can replicate this there is nothing that we can do. So I'm going to bring it into service tomorrow morning to see what's up.

I'll keep you posted.

Igor

Quick Reply: Acceleration problem