A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

All season Performance tire?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm quite happy with the Bridgestone RE960AS tires I put on last year. Quiet riding & decent wet grip + some snow 'ability'. Much better than the OEM Pirelli P6s, which were noisy & not too 'grippy'. I'm not sure if they are available in the size you require.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

"Not a big fan of Continental. (Sorry)"

I wasn't either before I got the DWS's. Best all around tire I have ever owned. I've had Bridgestone Potenza 72's 96's, Pirelli 6000's and P6's, Michiline MXV4's, Nitto 450's and 555's, Dunlop Extreme Winter Performance (forgot name), Blizzaks, Goodyear eagle F1 GSD3's, Kumho Ecstas, and many more.

I live in Holland Michigan where we get tons of snow and little plowing. These tires are better than my old Dunlop winter performance tires in the snow, and allmost as good as my Eagle F1 GSD3's in the summer. I won't go back to two sets of tires! The only problem I had with them was a pothole flattening one after a few weeks on the car. That was replaced under warranty, and not uncommon to all low profile tires.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by heateris
I'm happy with my current Sumitomo's,
I wasn't as lucky as you. I got Sumitomo HTR A/S P01s. They have horrendous lateral pull. They pull to the right. When I switch sides at the front, they pull left, so I know it is the tires. Worse, when I move the backs to the front and repeat the side to side switch, I get the same result. So at least two of them are crap. They may make decent performing tires, but quality control is crap. You should see the gigantic weights needed to balance them too. I won't ever try them again. Since Sumitomo industries also makes Falkens, I won't buy any of those either. Too many reports of side pull, out of roundness, noise/wet grip problems as the wear a little, etc.

In the end, it wasn't worth the money I saved. In fact, if I decide not to dump my car soon, I will end up replacing them with Michelins that I should have stuck to and consider the $330 I paid for the Sumis a loss.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've had great luck with General Exclaim UHP's-great tread in wet and dry, good price, and lasted for almost 60K
Old 11-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Has anyone had any experience with the Goodyear Eagle GTs? They're slightly cheaper than the Eagle F1s..
Old 11-08-2010, 05:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had Goodyear Eagle GT's on my Lexus SC400, and they stunk. Mediocre dry grip, and slid early in the wet. It I've had several sets of Goodyears on different vehicles and allways hated them. Goodyear and Michilin Bridgestone allways seemed to rely on a name and not good tires to sell. The Eagle F1's converted me though. Now my opinion has changed and I just realize that you have to go top shelf no matter who the brand is. The medium grade tires make too many compromises for me. I'm not saying you need $2-300 per-tire rubber, but it's better to just pony up the extra $100 per set to get the F1's.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks all.

From what I see and read on all my posting about good all season
tires are the same.

Continental DWS with the W speed rating are a good price for the performance. Haven heard of any problems with the W rated ones.

Goodyear Eagle GT and the F1 are ok but not so great on wet pavement. Also tire wear seems to be more of a concern to most
people who have them.

Yokohama Avid Envigor W rated seem to get great reviews on all
counts great tire wear, great traction on most surfaces. Good price.

Problem is ALL tire shops around me are rip off artists.
All tires I mentioned seem to have a sale price of $165.+ leading to $800.+ for 4 mounted and high speed balancing.

Tire rack $640.50/w road hazard delivered to my house and $100. to have them mounted and balanced. = $740.50. Yokohama's.

Tire rack $533./w road hazard delivered to my house and $100. to have them mounted and balanced. = $633. Continental DWS's

I can see the Yokohama's but almost $200 each for everything else
here localy. So much of a price hike is BS.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think you have it about right on the tires. Except I'll say that the Eagle F1's are not only not bad in the rain, they are the best rain tires I have ever had. They are just so horrible in the snow, that the very small stepdown in wet/dry performance to the Continental DWS made me say I would never buy summer tires again since they do everything so well.

As for your tire prices, I feel you and had the same problem around here untill I found out Discount Tire would match online prices and give you a free warranty. I wont buy from anyone else now. Also for $100 I hope you're talking Mounting, Balancing, and an Alignment. I thought $50 for M&B was a ripoff here, I can get it done under $30 down south. I just got a four wheel alignment for $57 out the door, which I though was very cheap though. Still $100 is outrageous, there are shops that will sell you used tires with mounting and balancing for that much.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, the tire shops here charge about $19. each to mount and balance.
$0.0 if you purchace them from their shop. But the tires are about
$40-$50 more per tire. What BS!