A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

ANOTHER Bose Stereo thread...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANOTHER Bose Stereo thread...

I need your help. Thinking of buying an '02 A4 1.8T. I listened to both Bose and the standard system (same CD, same song) and found the stock stereo way underpowered--I had it turned up all the way and wanted more power and clarity. The Bose system had lots more oomph and high frequency response (I liked this). Didn't get to listen to different genres of music to see how I liked the soundstage/equalization, though.

I've read many threads talking down on the Bose system. I've also always heard that modifying Bose systems is difficult because of the impedance of the speakers. I plan on adding a sub box to any system (I already own a box and amp)--I was just hoping the car I buy would have good mids and highs to accompany my sub.

Does anyone have any thoughts/comments?? I have some really nice 6.5" separates (with tweeters) in my current car that I could move over as well as another set of 6.5" speakers that I could put in the rear doors. I'm guessing I'd have to buy an amp to power these though. The cost of a nice amp plus my time and hastle for labor would probably outweigh the cost of the Bose system. The kicker is that buying the similar car with Bose means either having it shipped to me or driven over 200 miles.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 09-04-2002, 12:22 AM

Default I had similar dilema

Thoughts:
1) If you start messing with your electrical system you may void your warranty.
2) Do you really want to rip up a brand new car?
3) I had similar situation, had custom installed high end stereo in my old car and thought it would kill me to go to Bose. IMHO Bose not that bad. I think it has decent Bass.
I went with the Bose, it's not the best but I can live with it.
Old 09-04-2002, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

for a car the bose system is fine... but its a CAR, good sound is found at home!
Old 09-04-2002, 05:36 AM

Default It "sounds" like you've been down the car audio path before

Use your speakers and sub. Buy a big 4 channel amp to run the front doors and sub, use the factory amp for whatever is left hooked up. (rear doors, centre and shelf sub!!!)

This is fairly cheap and will let you use the head unit for front and back. The 4 channel amp will have its own fading to allow more/less fronts or sub.

IMO if you enjoy car audio leave the Bose off the sheet.
Old 09-04-2002, 05:37 AM

It depends how much time you spend in your car
Old 09-04-2002, 05:46 AM

Too true as the saying goes "You can live in your car but you can't drive your house"
Old 09-04-2002, 08:46 AM

Default Yes, I have! I have another question:

In the stock stereo system, exactly what speakers are being powered by the head unit and what speakers by the amp?? Thanks!!
Old 09-04-2002, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

isn't it: "you can live in your car but you can't race your house"?
Old 09-04-2002, 09:25 AM

Default I don't think the head unit has any power, but by using the stock amp with the stock speakers

you can use the mode button to frame the sound to your liking.

I replaced the fronts with 6.5 Boston's with tweeters and closed 10" sub in the trunk. The 4 channel runs fronts and the sub, the stock amp still powers everything else.

A little more advice is get an installer to do it the dash is a headache to put back together.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:36 AM

Default I read the stock system amp only powers rears and sub (more)

but that makes modifying the front speakers ideal. How does the system sound with these modifications using stock rear speakers? As I already have nice 6.5" separates and a nice sub with box, how much would I have to spend on a nice 4 channel amp and installation do you think?

How does your modified system sound compared to the Bose system?

Quick Reply: ANOTHER Bose Stereo thread...