A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

another question about tires.. /camber kit .. anyone? April?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another question about tires.. /camber kit .. anyone? April?

my search function does not work while im at work... dont ask me why?

The A4 does not need a camber kit, correct? Ive had my tires on for about 18-20K miles. The car was corner balanced, tracks straight and no vibrations. There is plenty of meat on the outside and middle tire. But for some reason, the inner tire has worn down significantly making me search for new tires. I have not rotated the tires in 15K miles. Can this be the reason for my inside tire wearing out faster than normal? Or is this just a result of having a lowered car? Im looking for a solution so the problem does not re-occur with my new tires. tia...
Old 09-19-2003, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How low have you gone ? What brand ? An extreme drop will do it.

I recall the tech at my old dealership looking through a parts catalog, looking for a camber kit that would fit. I think he ended up using a Honda kit, - but I don't remember model and year. There might be something out for the A4 by now.

You really should rotate the tires front to rear. I take it the fronts are finished ? The front of the car not only has to carry more weight, but it also has to do the turning and transmit power. Check toe as well as camber.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:11 PM

Default Re: How low have you gone ? What brand ? An extreme drop will do it.

Tire brand is Falken-FK 451. I have Neuspeed sport springs/Koni Shocks. I was under the impression that a new alingment and corner balance would be sufficient. I know rotating tires should of been done, but that can't be the main cause right? I thought the A4 didn't have or need a camber adjustment?
Old 09-19-2003, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Was the alignment done to factory specs, or custom for the drop ?

It should take into account the new geometry. If you haven't rotated tires in 15K, that most certainly can play a large part as well.

I would have the alignment checked ( Hunter brand alignment rack if possible ), and then keep a very close eye on wear on the new tires. If it shows signs of faster wear, call Neuspeed and see what they suggest.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:26 PM
Former Vendor

Default Stop driving straight!

The A4 doesn't have front camber adjustment from the factory. You can get aftermarket kits for the B5 chassis, which I believe should work on the B6 (but I'd double check).
Corner balancing is usually only done on cars with height adjustable coilover kits, not normal spring/shock combinations.

Check your alignment numbers for the front camber and toe. If the front camber is out of spec, the only solution is a camber kit.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:00 PM

Re: thanks!
Old 09-19-2003, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here we go again. First of all waiting 15k for a rotation with high performance tires is way too...

Long in my opinion. I would rotate my tires every 3000 to 5000 miles max. If you have an aftermarket suspension kit and it lowered your car more then the OEM sport packagage then you are outside Audi's specs. If you go to an Audi dealer they have the specs for the normal suspension and the sport suspension. They use different parameters to align the car. Because you are outside Audi's specs, you will have more negative camber and since it is not adjustable you are stuck with it. One way to reduce the inner tire wear when you have more camber is to compensate by reducing the TOE IN a little. Now reducing the toe in will make the car a bit less steady on highways when cruising. The amount of toe on the car affects the strait line stability when going down the highway or under braking. Of course you can always go and buy some upper adjustable control arm links like I did. Then you could adjust your camber. These kits are extremely well made and of the highest quality but they may be too expensive for your budget. Check at www.customperf.com for those arms.
Now the other point I would like to addreess here is your corner weight. If you have regular lowering springs with stiffer shocks and not coilovers then there is no way you got corner weighed.

Hope this can help you.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:34 PM

Default Re: thanks Mike... i'll defintely check my numbers when the car is re-aligned.

im surprised this doesnt happen more often with others with my set up. Yes, my bad on rotation but something just does not measure up.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Welcome.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:59 PM

Re: yes, thank you to... jet..... yah learn something new everyday...