A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Anyone have an Audi in San Francisco? Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have an Audi in San Francisco? Is it worth it?

I am looking at moving to the city, but am worried I am going to be driven crazy worrying about dents and dings and people that use their bumpers to feel their way into parking spots.

Is a garage mandatory? Should I give up my baby?
Old 05-23-2006, 11:11 AM

iirc "Artic Ultrasport" lives in the Bay area and he rides on 19"s
Old 05-23-2006, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I used to live in Downtown SF. "Worth it" is relative. (Long response)

Yes, I would be worried about the dents and dings at the way people try to park and squeeze their way into an open slot. And by having an Audi or other similar costly vehicle, you are at a disadvantage.

Is a garage mandatory in SF? Well, do we need Oxygen to breathe? There are lucky rich dudes who have a house and a big garage. But unless you are like the rest of the Downtown SF residents renting an apartment that provides NO parking in the building, then I would suggest scouting for one at once. The cheap parking garages being run by the City are on a wait list. And good luck how long the wait will be because unless someone there dies, you have zero chance.

As for me, I was able to find a cheap parking garage for $200 a month which was 5 SF blocks away from my apartment. The going price was actually $280 a month ($350 if you wanted a "reserved" space), but I made quick friends with the Manager who ran the garage and he let me wash my car at night.

And even the aggravation of trying to find an available street parking isn't worth it. You're wasting time, fuel and patience just to find a slot. And if you do, you better watch out for the meter in the morning and the two street signs telling you when you can park and when it's street cleaning day. Before I got my Audi, I would rent a car when necessary and I got towed twice. Twice! You pay for the expensive towing and parking ticket.

When I got the Audi, I made sure I also got a garage. And mind you, only a few garages in Downtown SF are open 24 hours. Most of them close by midnight and once you put in your car, you ca only retrieve it when they open by 6am. So if you have an emergency, party late nights or arrive from an out-of-town trip in the wee hours, your out of luck with the garage.

Personally, I wouldn't dispose of the car if you can afford a garage or you can find a place that has a garage. Otherwise, you're going to have to memorize the parking days in your nearby blocks. And when I say memorize, know it by heart.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:31 PM

Default Garage mandatory

Besides, you're driving an Audi.

Seriously though, I have a garage and feel like a king. For years I parked on the streets of SF and endured a lot of what worries you. License plate screw indendations in my rear bumper, parking tickets, birdsh*t, people sitting on my car, my car getting nailed by an errant football/frisbee throw, etc. Not to mention much wasted time circling block after block looking for a parking spot.

Once I was able to get a spot in a garage, I took it and never looked back. It's quite costly and economically doesn't make sense ($200/mo for parking vs. free street parking+$50/mo for parking tickets) but the peace of mind and time savings are what make it acceptable.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:26 PM

Default I think that Bolo is from the Bay area too

and if I recall correctly he drives into and parks right downtown.