A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Anyone have a tan, front driver's side speaker cover, non-bose? I accidently put my knee into it.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a tan, front driver's side speaker cover, non-bose? I accidently put my knee into it.

Freak slipping accident...lol.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

you could try clair parts
Old 01-05-2007, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default new speaker cover itself is only $10 or so. because of how they attach, you cannot use a used cover

if you take off the door panel (don't do it just for me, just trust me haha), you'll see that the speaker grill has plastic pegs coming out of it that go into circular mounting holes on the door panel.

at the factory, the plastic pegs are melted after being put into the door panel, causing the melted plastic to hold the grill in place in the door.

i replaced my door speaker grill by:
1) getting a *new* speaker grill from a dealership or other place (used grills will not work due to the explanation above)
2) remove the door panel (i recommending setting it on some sort of fabric or carpet to keep from damaging the automobile interior side of the door)
3) carefully using a large drill bit or other tool of your choice, remove the melted grill plastic on the backside of the door panel that is holding it in place
4) clean off any remaining plastic
5) insert new speaker grill into place (you'll notice that it just goes into the mounting holes, but nothing holdes it in place
6) i then used a soldering iron to carefully melt the plastic (note: do this in a ventilated area because the plastic smells) so that the grill would be held in place just like the factory

I couldn't find another way to mount the speaker grill in a non-ghetto manner, and actually found that the plastic, as i expected, has a low melting point.

good luck!