A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Anyone in here using a bluetooth GPS with PDA? Need some help...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone in here using a bluetooth GPS with PDA? Need some help...

I got my Belkin bluetooth GPS yesterday and loaded up all the software and stuff to my iPaq 4150. I'm having a problem having the two communicate though. The blue light comes on both units and it appears that the iPaq recognizes the GPS unit, but when I go to the Nav software, it doesn't show my current position...it shows some default city location.

I've seen someone on here post about these two units, so I'm hoping someone can help. Anybody have a similar experience, or have a solution? TIA!
Old 08-25-2004, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yeah i use bluetooth GPS (more)

I have a clie ux-50 and a Rikaline bluetooth GPS receiver (only cost me $105 on ebay!) The clie us a palm, but basically you have to pair the receiver and pda in your settings. Basically, turn on the gps, turn on the pda, scan for bluetooth in the area and when the gps shows up, establish a "preferred device" or whatever they call it. You will probably need the default password that came with your gps. After that, I installed mapopolis, with some local maps. From inside that program, you have to configure the GPS, telling the PDA to look on bluetooth (not serial, etc) and tell the software that you want to use GPS (most programs allow you not to use it if you don't want to). It takes a long time the first time you start since the GPS has to find all the satellites and get a decent reading (this is called a "cold start" i believe, and you can look up in your manual how long it should be.) My first startup literally took 5-10 minutes, just leave it and go get a snack or something. After that, mine worked great, although running gps through bluetooth really eats the battery. Anyway, good luck and email me if you have any more ?'s.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks for the input...

although it may be like comparing apples to oranges since I have a PPC and you've got a Palm.

I think I may have gotten it to work. I went outside and sat in the car for a while and it seems to have picked up the satellite signals and the map now shows my current location. I'll test it out after work on my way home.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have the same Belkin GPS....

... You got it w/ the $140 discount eh?

Just make sure that the COM ports are both set to the same one (usually 5) and also that the GPS is actually picking up a satellite signal (middle LED will be green).

If those two things are set, you're good to go.
I've been using it for about 3 weeks now. Good stuff.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: I have the same Belkin GPS....

Yup! Got it for $140. BTW...how many actual units came in your packaging? ;-)

I think I got it to work. For some reason I thought I could acquire satellite signals from inside...I would think it's possible, but maybe not. I go outside and fiddle around with it in my car and seems to acquire the signals now. Can't wait to try it out on the road later.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default damn, i kinda wished i ordered that too. my toshiba just ran into an issue

actually, the usb male connector ran into the usb female connector and produced a baby. it produced a broken tooth so now i can't sync with my pc. toshiba says it's not covered under warranty. i think i can still hold a charge and sync through the IR port, but was thinking of picking up the Dell with the built in BT.

Hey PhaZeIII, did you hardwire your GPS? I kinda wanna know where you located it. my old teletype gps can get a signal even where our handbrake is. wondering how the signal is if you put it at that level. i might just put that sucker next to the V1 if i get one...now to sell another organ...
Old 08-25-2004, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nope.. didn't hardwire it...

I bought some velcro strips and stuck it on the dash right behind the steering wheel (behind the display 'hump'). Theoretically, the GPS unit only needs a clear 'view' of the sky to pick up a signal. If you put the unit where your handbrake is, it should work if you keep your moonroof cover open at all times.

I experimented w/ the placement tho and it picks up a signal much quicker when on the dash than anywhere else in the car.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

ic...