A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Anyone with Sport Suspension !!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2001, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with Sport Suspension !!

To All People with SPORT SUSPENSION:

Did anyone compared Sport Suspension to Stock Suspension in terms of RIDE QUALITY.
I have read several reviews/articles stating that Sport suspension is very dissapointing in RIDE Quality matter.
Thanks
Old 11-27-2001, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Its all a trade off.

If you want performance and Big GRIP then ride quality will suffer. If you are concerned about the ride get the Stock suspension. It is the same as the old sport suspension.
Bobby
Old 11-27-2001, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Its all a trade off.

Bobby is it really that bad ?
Old 11-27-2001, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Anyone with Sport Suspension !!

I have sport on my 2002 and I love it. I got to try out a 2001 sport and it paled in comparison. Of course, it's not the smoothest ride but then again it's not supposed to be. Handles curves like a dream. Handles wet curves like a wet ... nevermind.

Only way to tell is to test drive one with and without to see if it's worth the extra grand.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Try a ride in a stock suspension S4. Feels quite close to that.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:41 PM

Default it is worth the extra grand... if you add up the cost of getting 17's (rims tires), and doing (more)

the suspension work yourself...

Install and 4-wheel alignment...

Plus the relative unavailability of the parts due to how new they are... (at least in the States)

Of course, it is possible to sell your 15's or 16's (wheels and tires)... then, if you can wait that might be the most economical option.

It's really a personal decision and depends on what you are using the car for... if you are "touring" with your family (kids in the back)... then I would opt out of sport...

If you relish the chance to rip the car around corners and punch it from apex to apex... it's worth the sacrifice... IMHO...
Old 11-27-2001, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Are there any aftermarket suspensions that...

will keep ride quality the same bu give better handling? I want the lowered look but without the harshness. My current vw has the nuespeed sport springs with bilstein sport shocks/struts and the ride is getting a bit harsh for me on all these back roads. But i love the way it looks. I want to be able to eat my cake, DAMMIT!!
Old 11-27-2001, 03:31 PM

Disagree, sport suspension is firm yet compliant. Perfect balance of perf. and comf., test yourself
Old 11-27-2001, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default The Abt stuff works pretty good. It's not meant to give you a track type ride.

A really good ( expensive ) shock has specific sized grooves cut in part of the cylinder walls where the piston normally rides during straight travel. The extra fluid movement past the piston allows for a smooth ride under normal conditions. The grooves taper off as the shock piston travels to either extreme, giving a firmer ride in corners and over large frequency bumps.

Abt/AMS does offer a shock and matched spring combo. Drops the car another 3/4 of an inch over stock sport package. Don't just get the shocks or the springs because the shocks need to be in a certain normal operating height to work as described above. Stock shocks will be too compressed to work well with Abt springs. Stock springs will pull the Abt shocks up to an extreme in their operating range, thus making a harsh ride.
Old 11-27-2001, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So does this set-up ride as good as stock even being 3/4 lower?

Quick Reply: Anyone with Sport Suspension !!