A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Anyone using Hawk HPS front pads with wear sensors experience this issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using Hawk HPS front pads with wear sensors experience this issue?

Back in April I replaced my OEM pads with Hawk HPS pads which came with low pad sensor wires. A week after installing the new Hawk pads (which by the way I am very happy with from a performance standpoint) my pad sensor light illuminated. A few weeks later I pulled the front wheels to take a look at the pad wire connectors and where they seat with the OEM harness and all looked well. A month or so later I had the car at the dealer for some work and I had them look at the issue and they couldn't see anything that could be causing the low pad indicator light to illuminate. Now over the past few weeks, on occasion, I will start the car, put it into gear and the indicator light will not illuminate for a period of a minute to several minutes. Yesterday I pulled both front wheels again and again saw nothing out of the ordinary. I disconnected the connector, cleaned each connector and harness and reconnected each one. No change, light still comes on. Has anyone here experienced this issue with new HPS pads causing the pad sensor light to come on?

At this point I am fairly convinced that the Hawk HPS pad connector wire on one or both of the wires is not seating properly to the OEM pad sensor hareness. Now I guess I could do one of three things: 1) Just live with indicator light coming on each time I drive the car as I have for the last 3 1/2 months. 2) Write Hawk a letter explaining my situation and see if they have any thoughts or if they will send me a new set of front pads to see if perhaps I received a set of pads with a defective set of pad sensor connectors or 3) Take the low pad wires and connectors from my old OEM pads, splice the wires to complete the circuit, connect them to the OEM hareness and then just cut or tie off the connector wires from the HAWK pads. I am already doing #1 and will do #2 today and might do #3 next week just to get rid of the annoying indicator light.

I guess I could just buy another new set of OEM pads and install them but I like the performance of the Hawk HPS pads and would rather use them or get HAWK to send me another set then putting cash into another set of OEM pads.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Dave, I had this problem when I was running my OEM pads...

the light would come on and off even though there was plenty of pad left (8mm). The dealer had checked the brakes before this started happening so I thought they might have missed a connection or just wasn't secure enough. They took a look again and everything was okay. They cleaned the connectors and had me drive for a few days to see if it came back. Well, after a few days of driving around with no light, I thought it was fixed. A few days later, it came back.

I brought it back and they replaced the connector and wiring that triggers the pad light (not the ones on the pad). Since then, the light didn't come on with the OEM pads. The wiring may need to be replaced...let me see if I can find my invoice to see what was replaced.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

do #3 and call it a day. just check your pads every month or so.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2nd ^^^

An enthusiast like you, won't usually wear the pads down to metal on metal mindlessly, and can monitor the pad wear visually through the wheel openings. Skip the warning light system.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#3 gets my vote. It's easy to check pad thickness anyway. Wear sensors are overrated.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:09 AM
DWP
AudiWorld Super User

3rd (we don't need no stinkin' wear sensors!)