A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

APR Stage 3+, I finally got a nice little run with a very fast car...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APR Stage 3+, I finally got a nice little run with a very fast car...

No doubt the car is fast with the Stage 3+, "disco potato", 28RS, but how fast? We weren't too happy with the tuner transformation show and frankly I wasn't either!!! Sadly APR did not have control over the editing or the acting, lol. It gave us little to no info on really how this kit performs. Besides the hardware part and the install, the show didn't do much, except tease us! LOL, Still seeing the show was a nice taste of what you get hardware wise.

Of course it's no secret that our modded 1.8t's can move, Mike Hood, Sameer, Mark Bradford, Matt, his last name escapes me, but he does that CAPS/FATS database, and many of the B5 boys have proved that our 18t's can do some serious damage. However, kit wise, the B6 A4 has not yet quite gotten there on the same scale, that is besides what David at Ecode has done with his 2 years of R&D on the Revo BT software with his car, on Silence's and Greg's car's as well. Regardless BT setups are finally getting there with the B6.

Over the last month and a half, I did get few opportunites to compare. I've had a few friendly highway runs, one with an E46 M3, not a real problem there, after all Silence took one with the smaller T28 and 100 octane with a heavier Quattro, Sameer did as well with his B5 T28, not sure what fuel he was running at the time. Ran a 350Z that was not an issue either, not being cocky just making a point on how drastically the Stage 3+ changes the performance on our incredible cars, but how drastically?

So the real test finally showed up late last night. At first I thought it was an STI, looked pretty damn good, I thought perfect. Turns out that it's not, shoot, instead it was a very clean looking WRX. Now the stock WRX wasn't that much of a challenge with just my Stage 1+ and I wanted to know what I was up against before I got owned bigtime or celebrated a kill on a stock WRX. Okay he had an exhaust so there's one mod, lol, but what's really in this thing?

I asked the guy to roll down his window, very cool guy, no doubt he loved cars as much as I did and it was mutual between us that to make them go faster is always the best part. We talked for a few minutes, exchanged compliments and information about each other's cars, etc. He had no attitude whatsoever, turns out it's hardly a stock WRX, Yesss!!!

He explained to me that his car had every mod available, i.e. VF-22 turbo upgrade, exhaust, all the goodies, etc., which is capable of around 350WHP. Now we're talking!!! Who needs an STI!!!? Or in our case an S4? LOL.

It was a beautiful car and in the past I haven't been much of a fan of the WRX, but this guy did some very clean stuff looks wise as well. I told him I was running the APR Stage 3+ and he was familar with them. He said taking STI's in his car was not a problem whatsoever. His car sounded awesome as well, sometimes they sound awful, yeah this was no stock WRX, even more perfect than an STI, Cool. Okay, I thought I was gonna get destroyed, but we agreed to give them a run, might as well, see where I'm at.

It was late, no cars around, so please no lectures on racing. An aside; I always find it amusing and somewhat hypocritical that the very people who lecture others about racing have various go faster engine mods, such as turbo upgrades, etc. All of us who mod our cars don't mind a little run with a fast car now and then, so please save the, "take it to the track" line for another post. WE ALL DO THIS in moderation, or at least most of us. If you have a chip, turbo upgrade, then don't be a hypocrite and give me a lecture, if you're stock and have just worked on the outside aesthetics, then lecture away!

I was alone, he did have a passenger, both very cool guys. It was a strait line race, no weaving in and out of traffic. I'm not sure what fuel he was running but I was on 91 octane, boosting about 18psi, holding to redline, God I love that.

We started from around a 25MPH roll.... Right away the disco potato pulled about a 1/2 a car length ahead of the modded WRX!! "Buggy" APR programing, my ***. Still I was thinking when is this guy gonna pull ahead of me?

Okay back to the run, Into third I go, the little "1.1" A4, pulled another 1/2 a car length ahead of this bad *** WRX, and from then until about 3/4 through 4th no one pulled!! It was very close but I got him by a car length or so. If he was by himself it would have been a bit closer. Either way I was slightly shocked, so were both of the WRX boys, yet not so suprised that the little 1.8t with the right mods can stick with the best of them. I finally got a chance to see how fast the Stage 3+ really is. Even if I had lost by a car length against that car, it would have been a victory for how well the car is performing.

Overpriced kit, buggy programming, taking too long to come out? Time to kill that talk. LOL, for what you get it's a bargain and it was worth the wait. I'm blown away at the results and as you can see so is some real competition. Other's who's opinions I value and respect, APR competitors as well, think the kit is stellar and are very impressed with the way the car is performing all around.

Chris, Ben, Stephen, Chad, Tom and the whole crew at APR, don't listen to the detractors, it was worth the 2 year,4 year, two week wait, or whatever the hell it was, like your other products this baby delivers bigtime. Be very proud of what you've accomplished it's no easy task, others tuners still can't figure it out. Regardless, it is now finally here and to think it's still just a small, 1.8 liter 4 cylinder, unreal. Thanks guys for the opportunity to be one of the first cars to give this kit a try.

I'll post some thoughts on the kit in general when I can, I just wanted to share this little run with a very fast car. I think that speaks volumes more, rather then when the boost comes on, etc, etc. Silence is better at explaining that than I am, so maybe he'll chime in on that.

Please post any questions you guys might have so I can cover all the bases on the general review, I've got to dyno it as well. Also anyone in socal that wants a ride, just let me know. Safe and happy driving to all.

Best,

Drew
Old 02-28-2005, 12:00 PM

well done drew whats next on the list? don't see how you can really improve, fuel management maybe?
Old 02-28-2005, 12:03 PM

Default LOL, not much besides the 100 octane program..

I'm very content with it right now. I do have a Labree shotgun pipe, but for the time being I wanna run the kit , as is, for a good while before I try anything else. : ) Thanks!

What's your plans?
Old 02-28-2005, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

racing on the street is bad. take it to the track.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

come on drew. you know its time for a 2.7tt swap =)
Old 02-28-2005, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thank you for your comments...

I know a lot of us anxious for feedback on the stage 3. Enjoy .
Old 02-28-2005, 12:38 PM

You're welcome!
Old 02-28-2005, 12:40 PM
jwj
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Drew- What about an intercooler?

What other mods do you have? I assume exhaust.
What about a FMIC? Also, why do you run on 91?
Thanks for update- Enjoyed it!

John
Old 02-28-2005, 12:42 PM

he has the apr fmic
Old 02-28-2005, 12:43 PM
Elder Member

Default Ok now hit the track with me since I just got done putting in a new clutch.

Fontana is open at the end of the month but if you guys want we can always hit up Palmdale since #'s will always tell the story.

Quick Reply: APR Stage 3+, I finally got a nice little run with a very fast car...