A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

APR vs. AWE

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APR vs. AWE

I'm new to the Audi scene but not to upgrading cars in general. I know that alot can be found on forum sites like this one, so I have a few questions I want to throw out there (and many more if I get a good response from these). I have an '03 Audi A4 Quattro, 1.8T. I was looking at companies that made performance parts and came across two that I thought were the cream of the crop considering all that was out there. One of the quickest and easiest bangs for the buck in these cars seems to be the ECU and it's tuning. In looking at the AWE flash (GIAC flashloader chipset) I can notice the quality but the performance isn't what the APR Stage 1+ can deliver. I'm sure some of you have experience with either company. Can anyone give me some advice as to why I would choose the GIAC or the APR Stage 1+ and feature some pros and cons on both types? I was also looking at the diverter valves, exhausts and intakes. Is there a major difference between a diaphram diverter and a piston diverter valve? And I heard the sound clip on the AWE exhaust... is there a sound clip of the APR Stealth exhaust (I hate loud, tin can exhausts)? Are there any other options other than the Carbonio intake out there? I know this is alot to ask all at once, but it took me a while to actually find a forum that I thought would be helpful and I tried to do as much homework on various sites and performance parts before I came on here and seemed like a noob. I appreciate any feedback you guys can give. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

... hmm. Was I wrong about this site? 25 views since yesterday and not one person responded. Am I in the wrong section of the forums?
Old 07-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by lilgreenbottles
I'm new to the Audi scene but not to upgrading cars in general. I know that alot can be found on forum sites like this one, so I have a few questions I want to throw out there (and many more if I get a good response from these). I have an '03 Audi A4 Quattro, 1.8T. I was looking at companies that made performance parts and came across two that I thought were the cream of the crop considering all that was out there. One of the quickest and easiest bangs for the buck in these cars seems to be the ECU and it's tuning. In looking at the AWE flash (GIAC flashloader chipset) I can notice the quality but the performance isn't what the APR Stage 1+ can deliver. I'm sure some of you have experience with either company. Can anyone give me some advice as to why I would choose the GIAC or the APR Stage 1+ and feature some pros and cons on both types?
Make sure you're comparing apples to apples. APR 1+ flash upgrade involves changing to larger injectors, which naturally will result in more power. Both APR and GIAC ecu calibrations are the best in the business. You won't go wrong with either one. We like to recommend supporting your local shop for ecu upgrades.

I was also looking at the diverter valves, exhausts and intakes. Is there a major difference between a diaphram diverter and a piston diverter valve?
Diaphragm valves react quicker and don't typically need any maintenance or lubrication. Piston valves will typically require maintenance.

And I heard the sound clip on the AWE exhaust... is there a sound clip of the APR Stealth exhaust (I hate loud, tin can exhausts)?
Youtube has the best collection of sound clips. Both exhaust are deep and not tin-canny at all. Have installed several of both and they definitely are different. The APR is going to be quieter.

Are there any other options other than the Carbonio intake out there? I know this is alot to ask all at once, but it took me a while to actually find a forum that I thought would be helpful and I tried to do as much homework on various sites and performance parts before I came on here and seemed like a noob. I appreciate any feedback you guys can give. Thanks.
We carry some replacement drop in panel filters from K&N and AFE. There aren't many options for a cone style intake aside from Carbonio.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. Yes, I understood with the APR 1+ that I would need injectors. The GIAC system that AWE sells also has that option, but at a lower hp and tq number then APR's chip. Now that I have at least one person's attention... even though both websites tell me that the Audi will need a new clutch with a chip and exhaust... are they saying that to make me buy a clutch or is that norm? Would I need to look into clutches as well (70k miles on the odometer) and if I do need to look, what clutch or clutches are the recommended norm? Thanks again for any information.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

if you are going to be very delicate on the clutch then oem might last you but it's weak. If you want to pounce on it then get a OFE SS stage 4 clutch, you will be able to lunch from whatever rpm you want.

BUT if you are going with 1+ I would recommend FMIC as the tiny OEM inter-cooler gets heat soaked VERY quickly (in summer one stomp on the gas and you are heat soaked) and you loose major power when that happens!

On the other hand don't bother with exhaust unless you are planning to go with a big turbo later. OEM flows more than enough for stage 1+.

Same with intake, don't bother unless you are planning a big turbo down the line. REAL OEM filter has a very good flow, avoid man/mahle/fram etc.

and for the cost of an exhaust, get some forged light weight wheels and you will be happy

good luck
Old 07-14-2009, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

forgot to mention , DV, get the one from TT, 710N and you will be happy, it holds boost fine up to and including KO4, so stage 1+ is no problem and it's maintenance free.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:29 AM
Former Vendor

A clutch isn't necessary with just stage 1+, unless you anticipate you'll be launching the car hard.
For everyday type driving the stock clutch will hold just fine.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MikekiM@PureMS
A clutch isn't necessary with just stage 1+, unless you anticipate you'll be launching the car hard.
For everyday type driving the stock clutch will hold just fine.
mine was slipping under full boost in fifth on straight, between 2800 and 3600 rpm. when my mechanic took it apart he said that the oem was still in good shape and not glazed/burned
Old 07-20-2009, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by quattrorally
forgot to mention , DV, get the one from TT, 710N and you will be happy, it holds boost fine up to and including KO4, so stage 1+ is no problem and it's maintenance free.
quattrorally - You're saying the 710N is more efficient than the 007? All I ever here enthusiasts talk about is the 007 dv. I'm looking into purchasing a new dv for my 1.8TQ just to see the difference in performance. 710N over 007 dv?

2004 A4 1.8TQ
Old 07-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Former Vendor

Diaphragm 710N is indeed a faster reacting valve than the 007. Plus it's cheaper, and has zero maintenance requirements.

Quick Reply: APR vs. AWE