A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Audi A4 3.0Q Tiptronic Feel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A4 3.0Q Tiptronic Feel?

I just purchaced a Audi A4 3.0Q and right away I had the transmission flushed with a new filter and Pentosin tranny fluid. Since then when the trasmission in in Drive it shifts funny, it seems like it might be slipping maybe and then all of a sudden grab and jerk, this is not all the time but it is not really something I would expect from Audi, Before the work was done I did notice that it shifted funny to just not as much. When place the tranny in sport it will not shift funny. Is this typical?
Old 09-29-2006, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Audi A4 3.0Q Tiptronic Feel?

We just got an same year in an Avant, I don't know about shifting "funny" but it does shift alot w various acceleration.
It doesn't jerk starting out, but I'm still getting used to it to try to be smooth in all modes.
If in doubt, drive another tip.
Oh to have found a six speed...
Old 09-29-2006, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Not typical in mine
Old 09-29-2006, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Haven't experienced anything like you described with my '02 3.0.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:42 PM

i thought all triptronic transmissions are non-serviceable - can't be drained and refilled?
Old 09-29-2006, 02:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I know exactly what you are talking about!

My '03 3.0Q Tip does the same thing. It is the "drive-by-wire" throttle that causes this, not the transmission. There is no mechanical connection between the throttle and the engine/transmission. It is done by the Electronic Control Module that regulates input from the throttle pedal and tries to mimic the mechanical feel as if there were a direct connection. Dealer claims nothing can be done. My next step is to meet with the Audi factory rep and insist on a new ECM (my car is still under factory warranty)
Old 09-29-2006, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Audi A4 3.0Q Tiptronic Feel?

The Tranny does have a transmission filter, Audi may not require you to change it, im not sure but since it is replaceable I figure may as well do it, it was only $30 for the filter and the pan gasket. Im going to have the car taken back into the shop to have the transmission check for oil level, they say that there might have been a air bubble or something and is just a little low, they said they ran in through the gears for about 5 minutes on the lift. I will just have to drive another trip, I do notice that im picky with my cars and notice alot more than the average person but I do know that it is annoying. "SHLIKE"; Thanks for being another to make me know that im not the only person to feel this way. When I first bought the car last weekend I did notice that it is not a smooth take off car, can be done with the right touch but it was poochy in the middle of the throttle and it really took off when given, Im not complaining cause it does go alot better then the 2.8 V6. I know im going to get ripped on here but I bought a 2003 Saab 9-3 Vector for my girlfriend and overall the shifting and acceleration is alot smoother then the Audi. The Audi does have alot of other features that are better and this is why I have been driving Audi for the last 5 years but the Saab in that aspect is better. Thanks for the idea's guys.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes they can: I've had that done.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:11 AM

Default its the programming

the allroads (even chipped) and S4's shift alot better and its pretty much the same transmission.

until they program the transmission to shift more aggressively (which feels rougher, but is actually better for the clutch-paks) you won't get what you want.

Audi wants smooth, or people complain.

We want rough, fast shifts that prolong the life of the transmission.

Only a tuner who is daring enough to reprogram the TCU will give us the right option.

GM knows this, and thats why the saab programming is more appropriate.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:30 AM
jwj
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Tranny- Raderra

First, the "smoothness" in shifting is caused by a slight retarding of the timing from the engine so the shift doesn't "shock" the tranny. This is, (what you have been mentioning) is from the programing.
Second, when chaning the fluid, the transmission needs to be a certain temp. or below, (like almost cold). If your fluid was changed when trans. was warm/hot then expansion of fluids would change the dynamics of how much gets removed and replaced.
A). I bet your low on fluid and B) I bet this was done while warm causing your problems.
Start over, cool tranny and replace fluid, (only will be able to replace about 4-5 qts as memory serves me).

Thanks,

John

Quick Reply: Audi A4 3.0Q Tiptronic Feel?