A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Audi A4 B6 TDi 130 Limp Mode - Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A4 B6 TDi 130 Limp Mode - Advice

Alright guys,

I need a little advice if possible. My car has started hitting limp mode constantly with the usual syptoms. It goes into limp mode after about 3000rpm or when under load in high gears at high speed. It clears when switched off briefly. Also it does smoke a lot from the exhaust and intermittenly it has rough idle and is hunting slightly and is hesitant when accelerating.

So I went for the usual cheaper/easier approach first and have replaced all the braided vac hoses with new silicone ones, I couldnt find a leak but they looked worn anyway. I have replaced the MAF sensor and the N75 valve. And I have also cleaned out the EGR valve (which was substantially blocked). This pretty much did nothing even though im sure if the EGR valve was the only problem it would have made a huge difference due to the flow restriction it must have been causing. I have since aquired a vagcom from a friend and these are the faults -

CHARGE PRESSURE CONTROL
POSITIVE DEVIATION P1557 INTERMITTENT

AND

ENGINE MOUNT SOLENOID VALVES
N144/N145 SHORT TO PLUS P1586 INTERMITTENT

From what ive found on the net everything is pointing towards the old VNT vanes being coked up. So I found a thread with a bit of cheat which was removing the EGR valve and feeding a hose down into the turbo and filling with Mr Muscle for 2 hours. I did this and drove up the road and wow what a difference it pulled really well and obviously kicked a lot of crap out the back. However under extreme load up a hill in 3rd it did go into limp mode again. So I cleared it and the car was behaving well again. The next morning sadly it was back the same as it was before. So seeing as it did make some difference if only for a short time it seems thats where the problem is and I now need to remove the turbo and strip/clean it properly.

So the advice I need really is -

would the symptoms ive got cause that particular fault code? ( P1557 )

would the sticking VNT cause the problems with the lumpy idle?

what is the best way to go about removing the turbo i.e remove with the manifold also?

are there any turbo seals that i willl need to purchase before doing the strip/rebuild?

if i remove the manifold also will i need to replace the manifold gasket?

are there any special tools required?

If there is a guide anywhere with a step by step walkthrough on stripping the turbo?

Sorry to fire so many questions at you guys, ive tried to find the answer by searching without starting a thread but my symptoms seem slightly different to those elsewhere with the lumpy idle as well. Plus the vast majority of people seem to start a thread, get the advice and then never come back to confirm if it worked which is really annoying!!!! I imagine especially for those that have been good enough to offer the advice in the first place. So rest assured I will respond to you and let you know if it has worked.

also whilst not top of my list if anyone has any info on the other fault ( P1586 ) that would be great too.

Im a pretty handy guy and have done lots of replacement stuff on cars but never stripped anything down like this hence asking for some guidance.

All constructive help greatly appreciated.

Car details
Audi A4 B6 TDi 130
51 plate
engine code - AWX165973

Thanks