A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

The Audi A4 marked "well below average."

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Audi A4 marked "well below average."

Here's a quote from today's wall street journal regarding the latest consumer report, surveyed 480,000 people.
"Only one BMW model -- the venerable 5-series -- got an average reliability score. The Audi A4, a hot seller in recent years, was marked "well below average." Volkswagen, which owns Audi, fared poorly overall with its Volkswagen brand, with only the Passat achieving an "average" reliability rating. That doesn't bode well for VW's efforts to position the Volkswagen brand as a near-luxury make in America.

Consumer Reports saves its toughest criticism for European luxury brands, including Mercedes -- which has exactly zero models on this year's recommended list. (The new, redesigned E-class sedan isn't rated.) Results for other European brands are mixed. The Saab 9-5 scored above average for reliability in Consumer Reports survey, but didn't outpoint Japanese rivals such as the Lexus IS300 or the Acura TL (which is made in America)."
--WSJ on latest consumer report
Old 11-11-2002, 05:24 AM

Blame it all on the low tone horn and coil pack failures
Old 11-11-2002, 05:47 AM

if it was up to consumer reports, we'd all drive camrys.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:56 AM
jjl

Default Consumer Reports is written for soccer moms...

who gives a crap what they have to say. I read EVERY car mag out there but NEVER read CR, it's useless. They should stick with rating toaster ovens.
Old 11-11-2002, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Consumer Reports readers are concerned with two things - reliability and safety.

'Token' issues like handling and performance are thrown in to make it seem as though they know what they are talking about.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:11 AM

Actually, according to this year's report it would be a hyundai--yuck!!
Old 11-11-2002, 07:20 AM

CR rates cars highly on price, if it's cheap they say it is a good value
Old 11-11-2002, 07:53 AM

Default Re: if it was up to consumer reports, we'd all drive camrys.

Do you read Consumer Reports?.... no, I guess you're too hip. They acknowledge the Camry is not exciting to drive. They report on what is economically best for a consumer....that is the purpose of their mag, and I think they do an excellent job. I am very interested in Buying ab Audi, but in my research I have seen many complaints....I'm still openminded. Also considering the Acura 3.5
Old 11-11-2002, 08:28 AM

Default Blame it on the need to take a car to the dealership over 10 times in 1 year

for simple problems that should be addressed quickly the 1st time ! That being said, it's still a better car than anything out there in the price range.
Old 11-11-2002, 08:49 AM

Default If you research well, you don't need the simplistic, 'one answer fits all', Consumer Reports.

I subscribe to it too; it's sometimes helpfull. But usually once I've completed my research on a product I discover that what CR 'does not' report are those decision factors which ultimately turn out to be the most meaningful characteristics of a product. CR is to research as Readers Digest is to books (or the 'best' parts of the great symphonies is to clasical music).

Oh, forgot to mention ... What about the silly comments they'll sometimes make on a product like ... "The Audi A4 is a bit jiggly at low speed". I've never experienced such a thing on my A4 and I've never seen a comment on this forum that even hints at that as an issue. You've got to admit they're just a bit dorky at times in their comments.

Quick Reply: The Audi A4 marked "well below average."