A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Audi A4 Quattro 2002 Alarm works (lights) but not sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A4 Quattro 2002 Alarm works (lights) but not sound

So I have an Audi A4 Quattro 02 1.8t, I recently have had a problem with my alarm. The thing is, my alarm seems to work fine. When I say it works fine, I mean it still works, still has power, still indicates its on by flashing the lights when i lock it and turn the alarm on. BUT the only problem with it now is that it HAS NO SOUND. Everything works but the beeping. For example, if i were to lock my car, the lights would go off as if the alarm is set but it doesn't make a sound at all. Once the alarm is set, and i tap the car, or try to get into the car to trigger the alarm, the lights will flash off and on as if it was beeping but still there is no sound. Anyone help? maybe the horn has gone bad? im not sure a little bit of help, or a DIY before i take it to the shop and dump money would definitely help a lot. Thanks in advance and I'll answer any further question if i Haven't covered any future unanswered questions. Thank you
Old 05-07-2017, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not sure how similar my experience was to yours, but here's what happened:

My alarm/​​​​​locking had always worked fine. Push the button, lights flash, hear the chirp, walk away. No chirp = door or trunk or hood ajar. On one evening there was no chirp, but the lights did flash. All doors and trunk were shut, so I left to go eat. After some minutes, I look outside and the lights were flashing, so I went and turned things off. I left the car open and went back to eat. On the way home the "hood open" light flickered the whole way, so I think "latch sensor" and figure the problem was solved.

The car was going in for an oil change, so I asked them to look at the hood latch. They put a diagnostic program to work and it came back with multiple bad sensors. I told them to do a stress test on the battery, they said it was ok. The car came back home, I put a charger on the battery for awhile, did my own stress test (ok). I did no work on it otherwise.

After the battery charge, the system returned to nominal, and 5 months later is still fine. My battery is getting old, and my only explanation for that event was a lower-voltage situation. I don't believe I had done anything that day to discharge the battery. So it remains a bit if a mystery.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by W261w261
I'm not sure how similar my experience was to yours, but here's what happened:

My alarm/​​​​​locking had always worked fine. Push the button, lights flash, hear the chirp, walk away. No chirp = door or trunk or hood ajar. On one evening there was no chirp, but the lights did flash. All doors and trunk were shut, so I left to go eat. After some minutes, I look outside and the lights were flashing, so I went and turned things off. I left the car open and went back to eat. On the way home the "hood open" light flickered the whole way, so I think "latch sensor" and figure the problem was solved.

The car was going in for an oil change, so I asked them to look at the hood latch. They put a diagnostic program to work and it came back with multiple bad sensors. I told them to do a stress test on the battery, they said it was ok. The car came back home, I put a charger on the battery for awhile, did my own stress test (ok). I did no work on it otherwise.

After the battery charge, the system returned to nominal, and 5 months later is still fine. My battery is getting old, and my only explanation for that event was a lower-voltage situation. I don't believe I had done anything that day to discharge the battery. So it remains a bit if a mystery.
So basically a low voltage (the battery) was the issue? I'll do the same but i dont think its the batter. All sensors are fine, no doors open, hood, trunk, everything is cleared. Hopefully your trick helps for me but i doubt it. Thank you.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Undervoltage does produce weird effects. I really don't know what happened with me, but it cleared up and hasn't reoccurred. Maybe a little cloud of Audi gremlins came for the day, played around, and then moved on. A mystery.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Maybe it's just the little chirping thingy.