A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

AUDI A4 VERSUS 325XI, ES300, X TYPE 2.5, WHICH ONE??

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2001, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AUDI A4 VERSUS 325XI, ES300, X TYPE 2.5, WHICH ONE??

I'M CONFUSED IN DECIDING WHICH CAR THAT I NEED TO BUY. MY BUDGET IS AROUND $33K. I CAN GET A 2002 A4 Q 1.8T, 2001 BMW 325X1, 2002 JAGUAR X TYPE 2.5 L, OR 2002 LEXUS ES 300. MY BIG CONCERNS ARE SAFETY, RELIABILITY, AND SPORTY NICE LOOKING. PLEASE HELP.
Old 11-06-2001, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, the A4.
Old 11-06-2001, 11:48 PM

Default Either the X-Type 2.5 or A4 1.8T..

The 330XI has been getting mediocre reviews, let alone the 325XI. ES300, that car is in a a totally different class, geared more for luxury than sport. The IS300 would be a closer match to the cars you mentioned. Between the Jag and Audi, it really comes down to personal preference. The A4 will be less expensive. But with the drop in price, you "only" get an I-4, no wood, leather or nav. and ETC. Although a chipped A4 will be quicker, it won't be as smooth. The nice attribute of the Jag AWD system is the torque bias to the rear wheels(60/40) which should make it handle closer to a rear wheel drive car, but it is an unproven system. Exterior is a toss up, either one looks great, but with interior Audi wins IMO. That being said, my next car will be an A4.

Mike
Old 11-07-2001, 12:23 AM

Default The X-Type is just a 4WD version of the European Ford Mondeo..

The interior space is even not as spacious as its stablemate. The quality of the interior is not on par with the other Jags. Why pay that huge premium for just the badge?
Old 11-07-2001, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Better with Audi (long)

I've tested the Jaguar X-Type and the BMW 325xi and the A4. The Lexus ES300 isn't really in the same class with the others (all the others have AWD). Here's my thoughts on them (minus the Lexus):

Jaguar X-Type: Exterior styling is really nice! Looks like a smaller XJ series. Interior does really have a "plasticy" look and feel. The leather was good, but the wood looks fake. There are clear signs that some of the buttons and switches came from the Ford parts bin. Quality did not meet the level of what a car in this price rage should be. The test cars and showroom car all had broken ash tray covers! Interior space felt cramped, even up front. Driving and handling was good and responsive. Good luck finding an X-Type 2.5 - Jag is shipping more 3.0 than the 2.5 (i.e. dealers won't budge on MSRP).

BMW 325xi: Exterior is really nice (of course I think the exterior of all BMWs look good!). I like the changes in the headlights and grille for the 2002 model. Interior is really clean and functional (typical German styling). Seats are really comfortable and supportive. Center console controls can be a bit tricky to understand, but easy once you know what the symbols represent. Driving and performance - well, this is what makes a BMW a BMW! Decent acceleration and sticks to the road like glue. The weight distribution helps to keep it flat in a curve. Because the AWD is not typical for BMW cars (not talking about the X5), the production number will be low and even fewer will make it over to the US (i.e. Dealers might negotiate, but wait until late spring / early summer for anything decent).

Audi A4: Exterior styling is clean and looks close to the A6. I've also noticed when I had parked next to a VW Passat, that they now look almost identical in exterior shape, but that's where the similarities end. Inside, it has as good, if not better, an interior as BMW's. Fit an finish are flawless. Driving and performance are equal to the BMW and may tend to be only a slightly softer ride, but you'll still have lots of fun driving it. Another factor is that the pricing of an A4 is better than a BMW, so you can get a car similarly equipped to the BMW and save some money or look into getting more options. On top of this, Audi knows AWD! They've been doing it for over 20 years, so it's a proven and reliable technology.

I would say that you probably can't loose between the BMW or the Audi, but when adding up the items you're interested in, including the budget, I would go with the Audi. I did, and I've never regretted it!
Old 11-07-2001, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: AUDI A4 VERSUS 325XI, ES300, X TYPE 2.5, WHICH ONE??

want to be an enthusiast, get an audi....

got quattro ?
Old 11-07-2001, 06:17 AM

Default If you want AWD go with the Quattro

Looks like you want AWD from the cars you are considering. If that is the case the choice is clear--go with the Quattro. Do a search a look for discussions. The Quattro is proven in 20 years of racing and street use. The BMW is a SUV system and not sure where the Jag system came from. I would be concerning about Jag quality although it is much better than in the past.

Pricing--Audi is the clear winner

Styling is up to you, although I think all 3 (except the ES300) look great.
Old 11-07-2001, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

ouch...my ears hurt
Old 11-07-2001, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agreed.....I just saw one in a parking lot recently....

It looked small & it looked like a Contour. No reason to get a $40k Contour.
Old 11-07-2001, 07:53 AM

Default Test Drove all except ES300, Audi hands down (kind of long)

I'm in the same boat, Audi vs.BMW vs. IS300 vs. X-Type
I'm basing these rankings on what I am looking for: performance, sweet looks inside and out, and reliability (plan to own for 5-6 years)

4th place: X-Type
The exterior and Jaguar name say alot about this car, unfortunately not much backs up the Jaguar name. This is their "entry-level" model, and once inside you sure get an "entry-level" feel. The trim is very tacky, certainly not something to expect in a Jag. In a recent review(can't remember off hand) some of the buttons actually fell off in two seperate test vehicles on the road! Not worth the price if you ask me. The shifting felt "rubbery" and power wasn't very smooth. To sum it all up: not what I expect in a Jaguar - an entry-level novelty

3rd place: IS-300
I am not a big fan of the taillights, or the cramped chronograph instrument cluster, but overall the interior is nice. The instrument cluster is so busy and cramped, you have to take your eyes off the road for several seconds before you can actually find what you are looking for - although I'm sure you get used to it after awhile. The drive is smooth, but the power is lacking. I've never really thought of Lexus as a performance car, only as a luxury. This is their first real attempt at a performance sedan, and I'm sure it will get better in future platforms. To sum it up: although slightly above average, certainly not the best

2nd Place: BMW 325XI (2.5L)
Sweet, sweet car-with only minor complaints. First off is the price: compared to the A4(1.8t) a comparable model is at least 5k more. Base price is around 29k, and start adding those options and you're easily in the 35-40k range. The interior (dash) is looking a bit dated to me. Looking at the dash throws me back to the 80's sometimes. The dash of the new 745i is where BMW needs to go with updating the 3-Series. Power and handling is silky smooth, and you can't deny BMW engineering. To sum it up: this was my first choice until the new A4 came out.

Winner: Audi A4 (1.8t)
You can't get a better deal for what you pay for with the new A4. A nicely loaded quattro will top off around 30k. The new interior and styling is unbelieveable, superior to those of the other cars you are considering. Leatherette is a blessing in disguise - low maintenance, long wear, with seat heaters, they warm up faster than real leather or cloth. The list of standard features is unbelieveable: aluminum trim, 6-cd Changer, 10-speaker system including sub, curtain airbags, headlight washers (have you seen these things in action? totally unneccesary, but totally cool nonetheless)... The power is smooth, and quattro knows exactly what to do with that power. Test drive one, and I am sure everybody here will agree when I say that the new A4 hands down is the superior vehicle compared to the others.

Obviously just my opinion, test drive them all and see what works best for you.

Quick Reply: AUDI A4 VERSUS 325XI, ES300, X TYPE 2.5, WHICH ONE??