A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Is Audi, BMW, Mercedes in trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is Audi, BMW, Mercedes in trouble?

From AutoSpies:

"***Audi of Mission Viejo coming in May 2004

Are MB, Porsche, BMW, VW and Audi dead and they don't even know it yet?

We say no, but we are getting increasingly concerned with these companies lagging behind Lexus and Infiniti when it comes to up-front technology and features that the customer can see, feel and touch.

You would have thought that they would have gotten the message over the last couple years after the navigation system and satellite radio fiascos.

But it seems they haven't.

At the New York auto show Acura showed a new real-time traffic info based navigation system (see last weeks article on the RL for more info)that auto re-routes the driver when an accident occurs somewhere on the designated route.

And once again, the Germans were nowhere to be found with a competitive response to what will be a 'key take away sale' feature come November when it's available.

Message to MB, Porsche, BMW, VW and Audi:

WAKE UP!!!!!!!

The Japanese companies are the kings of putting the glitzy features up front in the customers face so they can steal your business.

And how brain dead are you guys?

It took the team at Mercedes about six years to figure out that customers will buy a Lexus over a Benz because it had a wooden steering wheel standard!

Up until recently, you had to buy the S600 to get that feature...

And BMW and Audi have yet to figure out such a simple option gives the customer the impression that the car is much more expensive than it is...

I can't tell you how many friends of mine tell me the Lexus LS is more expensive looking than an E-class, S-class, 5, 7, 911 or A6.

Why?

Because it's got a STUPID wooden steering wheel and when they touch the polished wood, it makes them FEEL rich!

How many Lexus or Infiniti owners just laugh when they get in a BMW, Benz, Porsche or an Audi and they see the navigation system?

LOTS!

You guys better do a better job understanding what customers REALLY want and think what LUXURY is today.

Toyota/Lexus and Nissan/Infiniti get it.

And if things don't change soon, you'll wake up one day and realize you don't have anymore customers!

By the way, we can help you with your future vehicle product planning.

We're available as consultants to help you get back on track...email donald@autospies.comfor more information.

What do you think?"

He does have a point. In 2001 the main reason why I didn't buy a B5 S4 was because of The NAV system. In 2004 I didn't purchase a B6 S4 because of the Nav system. The germans have to understand that it is the little things that can sway buyers away from a brand. My question is; what did Audi have to gain by using a NAV system without a MAP, while everyone else has a NAV system that includes a MAP? Answer; Nothing. Audi can only lose buy not including a NAV that is competitive with the other makes. I still cannot believe that Audi still doesn't offer a NAV with Map on the A4/S4. After all of these years you would have thought that Audi would have figured this one out. I guess not, the 2004 A4/S4 still utilizes a Sub par NAV system that pales in comparison to Lexus and Acura. I would be embarrassed to show an Audi A4 NAV system to someone who has an Acura with NAV.<ul><li><a href="http://www.autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=2862&amp;categoryId=1">Autospi es Article</a></li></ul>
Old 04-23-2004, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It depends on perspective. This is concentrating on one thing

while the German copanies concentrate on several. This writer is stopping short of suggesting that a consumer would buy a cardboard box with a spiffy Nav system over a Bimmer or Audi with a not-so-spiffy nav system. Car companies don't last for 75+ years selling Nav systems.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:08 AM

Default well.......(longish)

I think that people buy german cars because they are german. Since I am from germany I understand why german manufactures do not put all sorts of unnecessary toys into their cars; People in Europe don't want them and won't spend the extra cash on them. The first thing my buddies do when they visit me in the US they make fun of their US rental car with power seats that can be adjusted 2million different ways and how ****ty the suspension, transamisson etc... are. Lexus doesn't sell in Europe, I don't think Infinity exists anywhere there. German manufactures focus on quality engineering. lets start
1. Qauttro..no comparision
2. BMWs RWD...no comparison
3. BMWs in line 6.....no comparison
4. design.....no comparison
and the list goes on
Me personally, I would probably never own anything but german or italian cars. And who in the world needs a rear view camera??????
Old 04-23-2004, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Hmmm......electronic gizmos or driving experience....I think I'll choose the latter.

The trend has been for the Japanese to use techno novelties to wow consumers, and to some degree they have succeeded. People are beginning to associate these techno goodies as signs of a premium auto.

In my meager opinion, the Japanese, however, are still largely behind in the driving experience category. I cross-shopped a lot of cars before going with the A4. While there are some very nice Japanese offerings, all of them still lacked the classic "road feel" of a German car.

To me, it all comes down to the way the car is engineered and designed from the outset. The Germans are a nation of drivers. It's reflected in their road system and their extremely high level of driver education. Germans demand involving cars to drive and it shows in their vehicles.

I personally side with the German way of thinking when it comes to driving. I want to be involved in the experience. I feel I may be swimming upstream in our culture though. As roads become more crowded and more people have longer commutes, they seem to want to just get from point A to point B comfortably and have something to entertain them along the way. Nothing wrong with that, just different strokes for different folks.

I too would really like a full color screen NAV in my A4 or a Bluetooth handsfree phone option. I'm just not willing to sacrifice the driving experience to get those convenience features.

My rather long two cents....
Old 04-23-2004, 06:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default incredibly poor and narrow minded piece of 'journalism'- we should tell Morgan and Lotus too

because ya know cognitive dissonance and gadget band aids are the only selling points on cars... riiiiight.

I get in trouble every time I drop by industrial design groups who're convinced infotainment is the end all of automotive desire... don't get me started on the resilience, observability, and directability of this software in the first place, but I know MANY people when looking at those 'exclusive' luxury markets that DEMAND not to have the gimmicks with their cars... and most German manufacturers get this.

No one wants to buy a SkyLine because it takes the skill out of driving... sure it goes fast and is fun as f*ck,, but its mostly automation doing the 'dirty work'... its a fundamental philosophy of design difference between japanese and euro manufactuers.

I can't wait until we see and RS6 with auto parallel parking!

Thought I must add, BMW's work in ad hoc networks between cars is pretty darn cool.. but from the scope and tone of that article, I'm sure they did A LOT of research.

so to end in my own ignorant and pithy way, my personal quote:
'no one has ever aspired to own a japanese car'
Old 04-23-2004, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default weird arguments

if standard wooden steering wheel on lexus, dissuaded someone from buying a MB, how many buyers did germans loose due to their reluctance to instal cup-holders?

from its past experiences, audi knows how dumb american drivers can be (a by-product of EVERYONE allowed to drive). years ago, they couldn't tell brake from accelerator &amp; lawsuits nearly ruined audi. recently, rubber floor mats became difficult to find, because some geniuses weren't smart enough to use them properly. do you expecta a moron, who cannot figure out proper mats' placement, to use bluetooth technology properly?

i drive. i don't drink coffee, don't talk on the phone, need no navigation, have no use for a DVD player, no bluetooth stuff to connect me to nearest dry cleaners etc. bling-factor is completely lost on me, besides all electronics are obsolete within 6 months...
Old 04-23-2004, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Ideally, best of both worlds would be nice (more)

When I was in Japan, they had lots of nifty gadgets in their cars. I like those gadgets, but only recently are they penetrating the n.american market. A lot of this stuff existed long ago, just not necessarily available here.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I think what you gys are missing is profit potential....

Acura charges like $2k more for the Navigation-equipped TSX... Think it costs them that much more?? The Germans are missing out on some seriuos profit potential here. Charge $500 more for a $200 wooden steering wheel... Same with Nav and other stuff. Unfortunately, the market for 'driving experience' is much smaller than the market for Nav and other options that we would probably consider froo-froo.....
Old 04-23-2004, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: weird arguments

"all electronics are obsolete within 6 months..." - Not true. obsolete and functional are two different things. According to your logic, the NAV system that I had in my BMW since 2001 is obsolete. That's funny because I used it last week to get to an address that I have never been to before. How can something be obsolete when it still actually functions?
Old 04-23-2004, 06:45 AM

Default US isn't their main market though.....

That might be true in the US, but Europeans don't want it and won't pay for it. That why they don't do it. No need to alienate their main customer base. What they might want to consider is different equipment for European and US models. But as long as their sales here are growing they won't.

Quick Reply: Is Audi, BMW, Mercedes in trouble?