A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

audi maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audi maintenance

hi,

first time owner of a 2003 audi a4 3.0 quattro....never owned luxury car before. i was wondering about the maintenance schedule - i see that oil changes are recommended every 10,000 miles - is that right? not every 3,000 miles or 3 months whichever comes first?

also, i heard that the timing belt should be replaced at 60,000 miles instead of the recommended 90,000 miles. is that true?

anything else about the maintenance that i should know?

thanks in advance!
Old 02-05-2007, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hi! Welcome to AW and congratulations on your purchase.

A few thoughts:

1. Are you still within warranty? How many miles is your car currently?

2. Hope you have all (ALL!) maintenance records so you know it was properly maintained as scheduled.

3. Although earlier B6 models have later timing belt schedule, if you don't have extended warranty I would suggest replacing earlier around 65K. People say it's not necessary as they survived that far. But first of all it's not their car, it's yours. And if you have the funds for it (very pricey!), might as well do it early to avoid any catastrophic consequences.

4. Maintenance is every 10K miles. If I'm not mistaken, your MY (model year) is every 10K, 20K, etc. Later MY have theirs at 15K, 25K, etc. Audi just wants to mess with our heads. That's all.

But again if you have the funds, it would be better to change oil every 5K miles. As the car gets older, it's better to keep it in top shape.

And don't forget to replace brake oil (every 4 yrs or 50K miles recommended) and transmission oil (it's lifetime, but better to change as well once in a while).

5. If you still have your Maintenance booklet, it should tell you what else you need at certain milestones. Otherwise, you can search the B6 thread for previous postings. I will search as well and post if I find it.

Congrats again and welcome!

Btw, not to discourage you but Audi B6 has hits and misses. Peeling switches issue, window regulator and clip failing, fuel pump failing, etc. But hopefully you did your research before investing in the car. Although I'm inclined to say if you generally treat it well, it will reward you back. Perhaps thinking positive will help.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If 2002 is same as 2003 maintenance sched. Then link is inside:

<a href="http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~mi167268/2002_MY_A4_Maintenance_Schedule.pdf">2002 Audi Maintenance</a>
Old 02-05-2007, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Hi! Welcome to AW and congratulations on your purchase.

thanks!

it's a 2003, so the original warrenty is up - but i purchased an additional 4 yr warrenty (but i didn;t go through aud dealer, so it's not audi extended warrenty)

it had a little over 28,000 miles (pretty sweet) and only had one previous owner.

so for the oil change - are you suggesting just stick to every 5000 miles - despite the months?(you know how the old rule of thumb was 3000 miles or 3 months, whichever came first)

kinda stinks, but i only got one key. the dealer said he'll try to contact the original owner and see if he has the other key but my bf says unlikely he'll try at all. the dealer said that if they have to purchase another key, they'll give it to me at their cost - whatever that is. i figure it'll still cost me a couple hundred since the key has to be activated, right? i read about valet keys - think that is necessary? can't the valet people still open my trunk with the trunk release inside the car? or is that valet key just to prevent them from getting into the glove compartment? is there a reason why i shouldn;t hand over my remote key to the valet person?

sorry if my questions seem lame - but this is such a huge upgrade to my crappy nissan. like i mentioned, never owned a luxury car before.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good call on extended warranty. It doesn't matter if Audi or not as long as it's a good company.

28K miles only? Sweet!

Definitely follow miles or months whichever comes sooner. Remember Audi recommended interval is every 10K miles. My dealer suggested change oil every year if one doesn't hit 10K in a year. But most people would definitely suggest every 5K or 6 months. I don't think about months in my case because I go thru the miles quickly (2005 at 50K miles already). So pardon the lapse in mentioning it.

Anyway, if you have funds better to do it sooner than recommended especially if you don't use the car as much and on long distances.

What is it with previous owners having one key left? That really is a peeve. Reminded me of my sister who just got a CPO Honda CR-V and after signing contract and all when we rode away salesman says it comes with 1 key only and NO manual. Amazing. However, since it's not brand new whatever comes back with the car is what they will sell. No efforts to even provide with a replacement key and manual.

Sooo, I'm not too paranoid with providing valet people with my own set of keys. In fact I only use 1 key fob. The other is tucked away in the house. While the valet key is with my wife always in her purse just in case I do something stupid, which I haven't yet (knock on wood). My thinking is like this: I avoid having to valet the car at all times. However, in the event that I do need to valet, I just cross my fingers and hope they don't scratch or dent my car first and foremost. Then cross my fingers once more that they don't steal my radar detector or my Leica camera in the glove. Kinda stupid, but those two things I check when I get the car back so I can raise hell if and when it happens.

I would get another set of key. With the cost of getting a new one. Nevermind the valet key, just make sure to get a new key fob and tuck it away at home and have your bf pick it up in your home in the event of being locked out. Getting a valet key is your last option UNLESS your really constantly having to valet your car. Of course the odds of getting items stolen from valet increases as you valet more often at different restaurants than from being a regular.

To answer your question about the keys, yes they have to be activated and only at the dealer. Second, valet keys will not allow them to open the glove box AND trunk for sedans (which will help deter theft only if you make sure to lock the rear seats from folding as well). Because sedans can lock their trunks via keyhole, while Avants are no use to lock.

However, there are a dozen reasons why you shouldn't hand your remote to the valet person and the reason why a valet key has been made. But in reality, it's really not practical. I would rather hope that I can trust them and have them arm my car with the remote than give them a valet key and they end up not locking the car inviting thieves in the lot. But that's just me.

Your questions are not lame. They are all valid and don't forget to search the forums for more answers on your car. If you can't find answers, feel free to post more questions and we will try to help you.

Oh, btw do change your subject line so it can be an easier read for the rest to scan the thread than having to go inside. It's easier on the eyes.

Post pics. We'd all love to see fellow people's rides. Hope you get enjoyment from the car for years to come. The only problem is once you go Euro, it's pretty hard to get spoiled with the interior quality when going back to Japanese or, sigh, American.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OMG A GURL!

Hi and welcome.

leonpro provided a lot of useful info, one of the things that he didn't mention is that you should only use Audi approved 100% synthetic engine oil (STFA for the list). If you're getting all your oil changes at the dealer make sure that he's using 100% synth as well (some still don't I think).

These cars are expensive to maintain but if you maintain them properly they will last a long time.

PS: Please change the subject line when replying to threads.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default thanks for the tip

about the 100% synthetic oil to use. well, i'm guessing if that i get the oil changed every 5k miles or 6 months, then it won't be extremely more expensive than the every 3k miles or 3 months i was already doing on my nissan.

any other tips on what i shouldn't follow on the maintenance schedule.

i've read a few things about the timing belt giving out right before the 90k, and that's why newer models have the recommendation to replace it at 75k. some people posted to replace it at 60k. what do you all think?
Old 02-06-2007, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd replace it to be on the safe side, but that's just me.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:24 AM
DWP
AudiWorld Super User

Default Glad to welcome another enthusiast! (If you're here, you qualify)

Since you are out of warranty, forget the dealer for maintenance and most repairs - find a good indy mech to work with. Check your regional forum for recos.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Welcome. As Tgr Clw said below, you need to use Audi reccomended oils..

I attached the list for the 1.8t engines but so you get an idea. Change the oil and filter every 5k and you should probably do the TB around 60k. Again, welcome, and post some pictures of the car.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/661599.phtml">Synthetic Oil</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: audi maintenance