A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Audi Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Reliability

First let me say that I am used to Japanese cars (Acura & Lexus). I've leased three Lexus cars in a row now, with absolutely zero problems in almost nine years of driving. I'm thinking of ordering a 1.8TQM this spring. I am worried with the current track record of Audi and VWs. As I intend to purchase this car and keep it for possibly ten years, I am uneasy about leaving the quality that my Japanese cars have afforded me. With the understanding that I simply will not accept problems, or even quirks for that matter, am I safe in committing to an Audi for a decade or more? I may sound like I'm asking a lot of my cars, but if you've ever owned an Acura or Lexus you would know that to expect a trouble free lifespan would not be too much to ask. Seriously, quirks of any sort (rattles, odd noises, a trip to the dealer here and there) would immediately take Audi off my list. Believe me, I know the A4 is the coolest little sports sedan on the road, but it's a true commitment, and I need unbiased advice.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You may want to wait for the '03
Old 01-11-2002, 07:50 PM

Default I understand where you are coming from...

but it sounds like the 2002 A4 may not be for you...yet. Might want to wait for the new platform to shake out a year or two. I have owned Hondas as well and NEVER had to see the dealers lot again. That said I expect to have a somewhat more frequent relationship with my Audi service department. Been there once for a fan control module repair. Will be there also in 2 weeks for the sunroof creeks (when closed with the shade open). Other than that I have no complaints. The one time I really needed my service dept. they were very professional, courteous and gave me a loaner on the spot. Had me back on the road the next day.

But from the what you stated, it sounds like you might not be happy with ANY unscheduled trips to the dealer. I was prepared to accept a SMALL trade off in 'reliability' for some soul. To me there was NO comparison from Acura and the IS300 was just not for me (interior styling).

Just my $.02.

Good Luck!
Old 01-11-2002, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default German cars don't sound like they are for you. Stick with Lexus.

I you want high end Japanese quality and zero problems and you will "simply not accept problems" they DO NOT GET AN AUDI. (Or any German car.)

ALL German cars for the most part have a worse track record then Japanese cars. Period. They don't build millions of cars to have perfect quality control.

But I think most of us Audi owners are willing to deal with a trip or two to the service department for a car that evokes passion.

The Lexus is a glorified Toyota with not a lot of passion for driving. They build with quality 1st. Audi/BMW/Benz/Porsche build cars with sport parts that don't last as long as long as non-sport everyday parts.

Everything in life has a price, and the price of a true "sports car" or "sports sedan" is some quality issues. If you love to get from point A to point B in a cookie cutter car without any hassles sign up for the Lexus lease.

If you want to love driving for the sake of driving then you may learn that a trip or two to the service department isn't that bad.

This is just my humble opinion.

And if it matters I have had a Honda's the past 10 years and after getting my A4 I kick myself for not buying a German car 10 years ago!
Old 01-11-2002, 08:52 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reliability vs Personality

I've got to ask...if you're so satisfied with Acura and Lexus, what prompts you to consider an Audi?

Audi may not give you a perfect 10-year mechanical record, but what Japanese car promises even that?

My personal experience is that after years of owning Japanese cars, I'm looking forward to a change from the bland styling and driving dynamics. Reliability aside, Audi's aesthetics and roadfeel simply inspires my interest...to make the A4 my next automobile.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Then Audi is definitely off your list.

If Reliability is your #1 priority then stick with the high end Japanese cars. They're the best in that catagory and within your current comfort zone.

It's too bad, because the Audi's (and BMW's) are really fun cars to drive. Don't test drive any of them because you may ending up liking them and buying one.

Best of luck.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:21 PM

Default The other posts are correct.

Audi's have average reliability as stated in consumer reports, same as BMW. I had a honda accord, nothing serious ever happened to the car. I highly doubt my Audi will be as reliable, but i was willing to trade it off to drive something that has a SOUL and not as common as a Honda. The driving experience you will get from the Audi is second to none. It is a true ENTHUSIASTS car. I savor every minute i'm in it's cockpit.. This is something I KNOW i can never feel when i'm in a japanese car.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Audi Reliability

I agree with the other posters. For me I will trade off a few problems for the ability to savor a work of art made and designed by human beings for enjoyment. Compare an MRE to a chef-made meal--they will both make you full but which one will you enjoy more?

You don't sound as if driving is that important to you--reliability is king. Then stick with with a Lexus or Acura.

Sit in and drive an Audi (or BMW or Merc) Though maybe you shouldn't do that.

But on another note an Audi is not a Jaguar or a Maserati. (or any American car for that matter) You will not have THAT many problems. I have owned VW's for years and never had any major problems. I would not trade the driving enjoyment I have had for any Japanese or American car.

Good luck!!!
Old 01-12-2002, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Same here (fear to be deceived in the long run)

There is a risk here. I am in a similar situation. I am spoiled by Jap outstanding reliability and I am reluctant to be confident in VW/Audi's capacity to make cars with problems here and there.

I owned one Audi 5KTQ for three years and it didn't help perception at all, reliability-wise. In fact, it was a reliability disaster, nothing less. But it was an old car (form 7 to 10 yrs).

What I missed from my Audi is its much superior styling. Japanese just don't have this kind of touch.

In the other hand, I like my Accord very much for its overall efficiency while being reasonnably fun-to-drive, at 30-40% $$$$$ less than Audi. Mechanic elements are working almost as fine as an A4, IMO. I don't care about Quattro at all.

Would I purchase another Audi? Probably yes for the styling, but a new one and would try not to keep it more than 5-6 yrs, now that resale values are good.
Old 01-12-2002, 06:18 AM

Default i agree with the others, sound like you should stick to japanese cars

i had a friend get a 325xi only to discover that he didn't find it much more enjoyable than his previous camry. he just wasn't a driving enthusiast so after six months he sold it and got another camry. drive an audi or bmw for more than a couple of miles. there should be no comparison. if you don't feel this way after having driven the cars you'll be happier with the makes you mentioned. i'll happily take some trips to the service department because i'll enjoy driving my car on the way there!

Quick Reply: Audi Reliability