A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Is an Avant with Quattro a good replacement for an SUV?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is an Avant with Quattro a good replacement for an SUV?

I'm tossing around the idea of replacing my wife's Ford Explorer (use to be mine until I got the 3.0 two years ago) with a B6 or maybe a B7 Avant (with the 2.0T). My wife loves the versitility of the SUV since for work she often has to transport displays and other work related materials. She also likes the SUV becasue she feels safe in it because of it's size and stature on the road. Lastly, she loves the 4 Wheel drive of the Explorer during the heavy snow falls that we often see in MA.

Any Avant owners go from an SUV to their Avant? What do you think the advantages / disadvanatges are of the Avant vs your old SUV.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The Avant won't have the size and stature on the road.

If your wife is one of those people that feel safer sitting higher off the ground, the Avant won't be a good substitute.

From my experience, I would leave *most* female drivers in the SUV. I can't tell you how many times I'll be in a girl's SUV and she'll clip a curb on a turn or bounce off the parking slab. Most SUV's can handle the abuse, but the Avant would risk a bent rim, messed up tie rods, etc.

If I were you, I'd be sure to include the wife's driving abilities in the decision equation.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:17 AM

Default What AlphaQ2 said. You also need to factor in the smaller cargo

space compared to the Explorer. The Avant is not a huge wagon, but the full hatch makes it easier to carry some bigger stuff. You're also going to see better gas mileage in the 2.0, I'm pretty sure.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You make a good point. Women do seem to have issues with curbs. Her tires often look like s***.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

LOL...my friend in Chicago has "ALPHAQ2" on his plate too...
Old 10-05-2004, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is an Avant with Quattro a good replacement for an SUV?

Lots of difference. I traded in my wife's Explorer for my A4 (sedan) and she kept my Suburban. I ended up enjoying the A4 so much, we went to look for an Avant for her. But even the A6 Avant and Allroad are pretty small inside. Wonderful vehicles, a blast to drive and all of that, but not an SUV. I think it would be a stretch to put a 20" bike in back and then what if you made a mark on the carpet? (kidding... almost) But I use our SUV for the work and my A4 for play. I got her a loaded up Yukon XL instead and it's not real fun to drive, but the kids and their friends and their sporting equipment and bikes and shopping stuff can all fit. And we use it for road trips while the A4 stays clean in the garage.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I went from a Rodeo to the Avant.....

I agree with the other posters. Look at all those factors.
The Avant works for us. One big Malamute, two of us and all our gear for a three week canoe trip. no problem.
Safety factor is way better handling. Add winter tires and you've got a car that can handle and brake way better than an SUV.
The only drawback is the clearance on the sport pkge. On gravel roads I really have to be carefull. Should have stayed with the regular suspension.IMO.
Hugh
Old 10-05-2004, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default yes

I have a touareg the wife has the avant. unless you are in very rough offroad area. as for feeling safe the audi should and will be much better than the Ford.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:03 PM
LAS
AudiWorld Super User

btw, all b6 avants come only in quattro.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:09 AM

They come on frontrack as well.

Quick Reply: Is an Avant with Quattro a good replacement for an SUV?