A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

back window blow out due to weather?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've seen a couple A4 Avants at my dealership with blown out rear glass....

I'd bet it's more common than people think.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I love how yours was covered under warranty...

mine was certainly not (then again, it was New Country, I wouldn't trust them to change a $20). Glass insurance FTW though... that guy probably did a way better job than Audi would anyway (no glass shards)
Old 02-08-2007, 06:08 AM

im not familiar with the navigation of this forum where is the archive ic news archive above.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:25 AM

Default Happened to my wife's '02 Avant

It was during the winter, temperatures around freezing. I had gone out for a 10-minute errand, got home, parked the car. About 10 minutes later, heard a "pop", and the car-alarm started going off. Rear window was completely shattered.

Dealer covered it under warranty, after a bit of haggling to convince them that this was happening to a lot of Avants. (I saw half-a-dozen cases at least on this forum at the time.)

Funny story -- I had the car towed to the dealer to have it fixed. By the time the flatbed got there, it had started to snow/sleet pretty heavily, and the flatbad was covered with the stuff -- quite slippery. As the tow-truck driver started to winch the car up onto the flatbad, it started sliding sideways in the ice (due to the car's towhook being off to the side rather than the middle). Driver looked at me, and asked, "...This has Quattro, right?" (...Yes.) So, he unhooked the winch, hopped in, and drove it up the icy flatbed. Heh heh heh.... Gotta love quattro!

Btw, others warned me about hearing little bits of glass rattling around in the tailgate after having it repaired, so I warned the dealer to be sure and get all the bits of glass out of there. They assured me they (or rather, the glass-place they subcontract out to) would. However, to this day, I still hear little bits of glass rattling around everytime I open/close the tailgate.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 02-08-2007, 07:06 AM

That's why there are archives, and not my memory, to rely upon. :-)
Old 02-08-2007, 07:07 AM

Use the [search forum] link. Select the forum and enter key words.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default This was when I lived in St. Louis (Plaza Audi). I agree with comments about New Country.

In any event, it took some arguing and brining AoA into the picture to get have Audi cover the replacement cost. By the time they agreed, there was a 4 week wait on rear glass (that must say SOMETHING about the frequency of this repair). They have my wife an A6 Avant to drive in the mean time.

New Country would have pointed me towards the bus stop.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:47 PM

Default UPDATE on blown out window

i went to the dealer today about the problem. The service manager explained to me it is a rare occurrence but it has happened before. Apparently the Gromit? (dont know if that is spelled right) that is in place for the rear window wiper is not placed properly or not even there on some cars from assembly. With the rear defrost. the temp fluctuation. science takes its course.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:39 AM

Good. However, which economics will take its course, your wallet or theirs?
Old 02-09-2007, 05:51 AM

Default Re: Good. However, which economics will take its course, your wallet or theirs?

they are telling me they will cover it. but to be on the safe side he did tell me part price of $248 for window and whatever labour maybe involved. but he said he will make sure it gets covered.

i dont want to have to go back for pick up and see a bill.

Quick Reply: back window blow out due to weather?