A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

bad coil pack wiring, need help ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad coil pack wiring, need help ASAP!

background: bought my 04 1.8t 5/1/08 from an independed high volume car dealer. car checked out, no major service done to it, audi service center said it had all its regular checkups, no problems other than tail light bulb replacements.

so my car died on the way home today. the engine will turn but will not fire. after popping the hood and pulling off the engine cover i see that the wiring harness that goes to coil packs is f'd up. the wires look like they were split and some kind of jerry-rig glue job to reconnect the wiring harness. when i bought the car i did not think to take off the engive cover and look at them. this must be the source of the problem. the car was running perfectly fine, no rough idling, no misfires, no CEL or anything like that. my roommate and i traced the wiring harness back to the computer, its a bitch as the wires meet up with other components and the area is really tight.

does anyone have any info on what it costs to replace the wiring harnesses and all the wiring to the ECU for this system? where can i buy these harnesses, anyone have the bentley manual page on this part of the system?

much much thanks in advance
Old 06-22-2008, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i've used repair wires and connectors from genuinevwaudiparts.com

i basically cut the old ones and spliced new repair wires in it's place. the repair wires snap into the connector and it works like new.

coil pack is a hot place, i might solder it and use tape instead.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default so im thinking i need to replace all the wiring harnesses....

they are broken and f'd up. i might have to cut out the wires running from the computer to the wiring harness. i cant find where to buy the wiring harness that connects the wires to the coil pack. genuinevwaudiparts doesnt have the cable set in stock or im looking for the wrong thing. the number on the wiring harness is 480973724, searching for this part turns up nothing.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have to call em
Old 06-22-2008, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You might want to try Jeremy at Matrix...He could give you a quick turnaround

time and their charges are very reasonable...You can be sure that they will get the job done right for you...
Old 06-22-2008, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default ya, im going to call him in the morning. i took my car there for a checkup, great guys.

going to call my insurance, i think they will pay for the towing and possibly get me a rental while its in the shop.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Cool...Hope it gets fixed...
Old 06-23-2008, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default talked to the shop, they seem to think its probably the fuel pump and not the wiring...

even though the wiring is a mess, its more likely the fuel pump not getting fuel to the engine. i dont know, i wish i had a vag-com i could scan the car with. ****, i wish i lived closer to matrix and the towing wouldnt be so damn expensive.

anyone have a way of determining whether the fuel pump is shot?

anyone ever replaced their own fuel pump?
Old 06-23-2008, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default talked to stealership, god i hope its not the wiring harness.

stealership said the whole engine harness would have to be replaced, 1300 bucks. i hope its just the fuel filter, only 200 bucks from genuinevwaudiparts and i can do it myself.

hey merkin, what wires have you actually cut and reconnected? are you talking about the wires going to the connectors at the coil pack? if thats what you did and it works, im going to try that before i drop 1300 on a whole new harness.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sorry, fuel filter is how much?

It's $45 at PureMS, $50 at ECS. Should never be more than $75 from a dealer even.

<a href="http://www.purems.com/products/product.php/II=1649">PureMS</a><ul><li><a href="http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?make=Audi&amp;engine=1.8T&amp;mod el=B6%20A4&amp;submodel=Quattro&amp;category=Maint enance&amp;subcategory=Engine">ECS</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: bad coil pack wiring, need help ASAP!