A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Binding noise when turning and accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Binding noise when turning and accelerating

After having a transmission failure on my 4 month old 2002 A4 1.8TQM, where that output shaft sheared in 2, I have noticed a very distinct binding noise when turning the car in a circle and accelerating. I also noticed the problem to a lesser degree while doing normal driving maneuvers on the road.
The dealer's Service manager says that the sound is normal "Quattro sound" and is doing nothing to fix the problem. The Audi Rep authorized changing the rear diff but it did not fix the problem.
While having the car in for numerous other service issues I have driven a 2002 1.8TQA, 1998 2.8 QA, 2000 2.8 QA and also drove a new 2002 1.8TQM none of these cars made any sound other then tires on pavement.

Does anyone know what is causing this problem?
Has anyone experienced the noise?

ESP Off has no effect on the problem.
Old 08-04-2002, 11:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default there is a sound that the quattro makes...

but it's only at very sharp turns (U turns) at very slow speeds (1st gear). it's a low end rumbling sort of sound. i guess it could be described as binding, but it's more subtle than that implies. i've heard this sound on every audi with quattro that i've driven. hope this helps.
Old 08-04-2002, 11:54 PM

Default Thanks but,

The sound that I am hearing is very pronounced and not anything like what I heard in the other 4 Quattros that I have had as loaners. To me it sounds more like a trucks 4 wheel drive than a car AWD. I hope there is someone out there that knows this problem. I have asked the dealers service manager to show me another car that sounds like mine and he does not seem to be able to do it while still calling my situation normal.
Old 08-05-2002, 05:11 AM

Default go once more, and tell him in no uncertain terms, that its not normal

ive often "changed the mind" on my dealer by showing them that im not some idiot who can just be fobbed off by them repeating "its normal" more than 4 times.
If you persist and just say that youre sure its not normal, describe how you know quattro makes noise on sharp slow turns but have never experienced this untill your repair, they should eventually relent.
Old 08-05-2002, 05:25 AM

I agree...and tell them if you have to be this insistent one more time for an obvious problem...
Old 08-05-2002, 05:39 PM

Default I have no choice but to go back!

If I want to maintain my case against them. Beside the rear drive noise the drives door has had excessive wind noise that they have now tried to fix 5 times and are planning to replace the upper door frame to get a proper seal. The arbitration representative at AUDI does not see any problem with this because it's just a noise. Just like the drive noise and if it is only noise and not a hard failure they will not voluntarily buy back the vehicle. I would imagine that this is not much worse then any other car manufacture but it truly **** poor customer service. Customer service is suppose to be better from a "luxury car". Next, I will see how bad the lemon law process sucks in New Jersey. It should not be a problem since the first repair took 25 days and according to the lemon law 20 days in the first 2 years or 3 attempts and a registered letter demanding the car be fixed should be enough but, then the lawyers get involved. I am going to try the service manager at another dealer to see how normal they think the drive noise is.