A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

BMW M3 engines and what we can learn.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BMW M3 engines and what we can learn.

From Autoweek:

"Munich, we have a problem: A cadre of owners raises brow--and stink--over M3 engines gone bad

By JOHN D. STOLL
"The BMW M3 is about as good as it gets."

So read our conclusion in January after whirling an M3 around a California track and rummaging through our mailbag of owners' comments. Then came word of engine failures.

While little has been reported about possible main bearing or connecting rod problems with M3 engines built in 2001, the problem is real, admitted by BMW, and extensively documented online at members.roadfly.com. Some 112 owners have logged complaints via the website, detailing extensive dealings with dealers. Many have had engines replaced with no explanation of what went wrong.

CLICK HERE to talk about this story in the Combustion Chamber

BMW sold 13,408 M3s in the United States over the past two years through October. Only a small percentage of owners have reported an engine failure, said BMW spokesman Gordon Keil. Those who are familiar with the situation estimate that as many as 500 owners worldwide have had problems. The automaker acknowledges "probably under 100" cases in the United States.

The problems appear isolated to models built between November and December '01. However, the earliest reported case on the website was posted in October 2001. That owner (who signed a non-disclosure agreement and is limited in what he can say) reported the exhaust valve broke, touched the No. 5 piston, and leaked sodium throughout the cylinder. His M3 convertible was replaced.

"It's no big deal that the car has a problem," says another owner, John Turkell, whose often track-driven November '01-built M3 continues to run with little difficulty. "This is a safety issue. I don't want the engine to go with six cars bearing down on me."

Though Turkell's engine remains intact, he is one of the most vocal owners, fueling much of the discussion on members.roadfly.com. Turkell and other owners refer to the M3's 3.2-liter, 333-hp inline six as the "Engine of Damocles," suggesting the engine can blow at any time, and that the issue could eventually hurt resale prices. BMW doesn't see evidence of plunging values and has not issued a recall. It has changed some engine parts and recommends 10W60 weight oil instead of 5W30. But BMW says the changes are not due to engine failures.

BMW North America is dealing with the blown engine issue "on a case-by-case basis" and won't say how many engines have been replaced or what ills them. Owners have been told "The M Group in Germany [is] still methodically researching the issue." BMW encourages owners to follow break-in guidelines, pay particular attention to oil levels, warm up the engine properly and not to rev in excess of 8000 rpm.

Wayne Sadin, whose engine shut down at Texas Motor Speedway during a warm-up lap, was pleased with BMW's response.

Sadin said his Bimmer "was fixed quickly, courteously, and without any fuss or acrimony" within two weeks. "My attitude is that highly stressed things break, and as long as they fix them with minimum hassle, that's cool."

BMW's suggestion that over-revving or missed shifts led to most failures is disproved in that failures have come in M3s fitted with sequential manual gearbox transmissions, which in theory electronically prevent over-revs. Many owners have checked the onboard computers to find failures occurred with engine speeds as low as 4000 rpm.

Even if owner abuse is the case, BMW may still replace the engine. BMW claims to be replacing one owner's engine that was run to 9000 rpm, causing significant valve damage. Nevertheless, here's one suggestion: Don't push BMW's benevolence. "
Old 11-27-2002, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default super high power = super high maintenance

Race cars get regular engine rebuilds, this is a street car that is pushed to limits mechanically that are comparable to what race cars go through, I would expect this from this engine, especially from people that are tracking the car.

The fact that BMW does anything for people that track it is amazing, try to get that coverage from your insurance company should a tire barrier should pop out of no where.
Old 11-27-2002, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default If you go through the early failures, you can see BMW in denial.

Yes, the M3 engine is maxed out. No wonder they will use other means for more power in the next gen, and why Audi chose the V8. The Audi V8 is a proven design that seems to have very few faults.
Old 11-27-2002, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No offense, but I find this post kind of ironic given your earlier posts

on the coil pack issue.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

That's why I posted it.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Replacements are fine, but what happens once out of warranty? Major $$
Old 11-27-2002, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

have your sponsor flip for a new one.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Which one? I have soooo many.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default denial, maybe , but I doubt their marketing plan includes admitting problems...

... making the next one better is always a simple approach.

You know the industry, keeping face to the customer is everything, nothing is ever a big deal (thoughts of Pinto's, F150's and automatic Audi's run through my head).

Public denial, simple under-the-radar replacements, and improvements next year - everyone is guilty, from Audi to BMW, Mercedes to _________ .
Old 11-27-2002, 01:33 PM

(OT) Love the sig... you always seem to capture the season April.

Quick Reply: BMW M3 engines and what we can learn.