A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Are BMWs Any More Reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ljschnel
I'm in the position of having to sell our A4 soon and the drop in value from taking the car from 80K miles to 130K has been quite an eye-opener. (probably due to these car's reputation for lousy reliability.) Not to mention all the maintenance I did myself (brakes, plugs, several filters, oil changes, coil packs, had indy shop do timing belt, several cam position sensors, radio doesn't work...).
The used Audi has been MUCH more expensive than my new GTI and, in the end, not a whole lot cheaper than a new or CPO A4. My estimate is $4500/yr depreciation on the current A4 and we bought from a private party. That equates to paying a $400/month car payment to drive an eight year old vehicle that is out of commission for service twice a year.
We could get into a CPO A4 (w/100K warranty) for $500 a month easy enough, and when we sell it 2 or 3 years down the road it is worth more than the loan balance...
Sorry for rambling. I'll go back to lurking in the shadows...
I picked up my Audis used. Neither required any significant maintenance while I owned them. They were both 3-4 years old when I got them and my "depreciation" worked out to about $2.5k/year when I sold them. That's quite a bit less than $500/month and that's ignoring the substantially cheaper insurance compared to a new vehicle.

It sure is nice to tool around with that new car smell, but you'd be hard pressed to come up with a scenario where it's cheaper to operate than picking up an 3-4 year old car. Personally, I'd rather spend that extra couple of thousand a year on things that matter a bit more to me than being in a brand new car. Been there...did that...it doesn't really do anything for me.

Best,
Old 03-28-2011, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id say the BMW motor is more reliable than the audi, but they all have their windfalls. BMWs destroy their cooling systems, since its mostly plastic. Ive dont water pumps and thermostats, then 2 weeks later the radiator goes, then the expansion tank, then a hose would split etc. It got to a point when I was at the dealer that for any cooling system repair, wed just include an estimate for the whole system to cover our buuts. BMWs also have problems with their blower motor resistors, lower control arm bushings, rear balljoints, and power steering lines. Not great but still not a timing belt and water pump every 60k. I have seen a bunch with well over 200k on them, not to say they ddnt have their problems up to that point, but Id say theyre more reliable than an audi. Timing chains help alot too. I was a BMW master tech in 08 before I left, any questions you can PM me.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ljschnel
My question to those of you owning these cars out of warranty - Why? When one examines the inevitable laundry list of repairs required to keep the old Audi, BMW, etc. on the road, it is impossible to believe you are saving any money compared to buying new. They even have free maintenance now. Get with the program!
Owned the 2002 since new. About $28k for the car. Now worth about $5k. Depreciation is about $2.3k per year. Maintenance I do myself except CVT trans fluid changes. It is not expensive to do maintenance. Never had major failure of main components. Was the wife's car until she bought a new a4 a few months back. Car drives like new, gets 26 mpg winter, 28 plus summer and 32 on hwy trips.

That is why I keep my car. Actually right now it is a throwaway car if it completely fails. It is satisfying to keep it going. PS, replacing fuel filter tomorrow to shut the fuel pump up on cold days.....

And my BMW dealer mechanic buddy tells me all the horror stories there - of $130k cars that have complete wiring failure, and V8 engines that need to be pulled and replaced on secret warranty, and......same grass, different seed.

Last edited by steveracer; 03-29-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree with all the gents that posted before me. 1995 Audi 90S, with 222K miles on it = 360K km. Owned it since 2007 when it used to be a beater for someone who didn't care about maintenance. Everything was replaced in the car (some done by myself some the cheap garages some Audi), and it left me twice on the road yet I never owned a better auto in my life with such reliability, looks, no rust and comfort. I paid $2k for it when I bought it used and no regrets to this day even if it goes to the scrap yard tomorrow. I owned Toyota, Buick, Honda, Mazda, Bmw and Vw New Beetle. It is the best car ever, I don't know what I'm going to do if it fails, it saved my life many times
with its preciseness, steadyness, sturdyness and overall quality. I tow with it too and the tranny and engine are strong, everything works on it, not a speck of rust.

I will never ever ever buy a new vehicle again. Seriously. Almost 100k miles since I bought it in 2007 and still running like a champ. Save me the lecture on the japanese scrap, they're all scrap from Toyota to Honda and they rust to death before they hit half my mileage you'd be back buying their scrap over and over again every 4-5 years. It's going to feel cheap, drive cheap, leave you in the middle of the road like my new Toyota did just outside its warranty and bleed its purchase price since everyone has one. Forget about racking up my miles on these junkers. Don't know anyone who does have one at or over 300k miles and still kicking. And god forbid a collision with an Audi hitting your Toyota, you'll be dead!

But these were the initial years for german cars, the newer ones are all scrap.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just got a B6 but it's great so far.

In general, the most reliable car I've owned? My trusty B5 A4 is right up there.
I bought it used, no warranty, and it's been fantastic. Fun, good mpg's and sporty.
If you look at the overall cost of ownership, i'm running very cheap and it works out great. The car looks great, interior holds up beautifully and it's reliable.

I can see it will be less so with the B6 interior- that soft touch paint is an utter failure. I like my B5's plastics much better.
Otherwise, B6 seems solid and a step up in most regards.

I can easily see how expensive things can get if you are not mechanically inclined. Dealerships and shops are huge time sucks, and that can be frustrating.

I wouldn't think you would have any better luck with a BMW. They are par with Audi. It's really preference and what you enjoy driving.

I like Quattro and just not into BMW's.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

2002 A4 Avant 5spd

Bought it off lease with 31K. had it serviced at audi till i found a great local audi mechanic...now 93K on it and still running great had a few things:

-trunk latch
-80k service (all belts, pumps, brakes)
-bulbs starting to go quick (or an alert that the bulb is out when it isnt)
-sunroof sometimes has a mind of its own
-fuel sensors replaced

now wondering if i just keep it (i bought it outright) or sell it while it still has some equity left in it...
Old 05-18-2011, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

ive owned three bmws a 99 740il a 99 328i and what i just sold a 02 325xi, the xi i just sold to come back to audi, ive owned more audis than bmw, i still love bmw alot dont get me wrong there great vehicles too but audi to me is just more my style and what im use to, but the only i dont like about audi is the timeing belts, on my bmws i did all the work myself from the smallest to the biggest job and the biggest job on the audi i dont trust my self with is timing belts but i still love the cars and will continue to go with them, eventually i will probably own a 04+ 5 series but i kinda find a love for both equally.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

All depends on the car. I have put roughly 45,000 on my 04 3.0 Tip in the almost 2 years that I have owned it. I put tires, brakes, O2 sensor, snub mount, timing belt kit,and control arms to name the big things. Also put other little things in it that it didn't need. It has 117000 miles on it now and it still runs perfectly fine. So it really all depends on the car itself as well as prior maintenance. I had a 94 BMW and it needed a drive shaft and other things. Mostly rot repair. But in the end they are all german cars and all require periodic maintenance. I wish you luck with whatever you get.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

All depends on the car. I have put roughly 45,000 on my 04 3.0 Tip in the almost 2 years that I have owned it. I put tires, brakes, O2 sensor, snub mount, timing belt kit,and control arms to name the big things. Also put other little things in it that it didn't need. It has 117000 miles on it now and it still runs perfectly fine. So it really all depends on the car itself as well as prior maintenance. I had a 94 BMW and it needed a drive shaft and other things. Mostly rot repair. But in the end they are all german cars and all require periodic maintenance. I wish you luck with whatever you get.