A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Boardcomputer as postinstallation

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boardcomputer as postinstallation

I've heard that You can post-install the board computer just replacing the wiper lever to a computer-model (reset-button and the u/d-switch) and do a little wiring (to get information from the washer fluid container) and then just activating the board computer with VAG-COM, just like cruise control.

- I already have the lever acquired. Got some second hand pretty cheap.

- I have to buy the washer fluid sensor, install that, and then connect a wire from the T32-connector (pin 1) to via sensor (F77) to ground (people with schemas maybe follows..). The sensor itself is quite cheap, but the container seems complicated and I don't know if the container has to be removed, since it "continues" somewhere below and downunder. The shortcut for this would be bypassing the sensor, and connect the T32 pin1 just to ground - and obivously not getting any warnings when fluid is gone (just like present).

Q's here are: Any idea where the T32-connetor lurks and does aynone have any information if the sensor installaion is easier than it seems? Although I haven't even peeked under the car yet, maybe the sensor is accessible there.

- Then there is the activation. I have VAG-COM, but how do I activate the boardcomputer? What if I do the coding before i install the lever? Get some weird reading on the screen?

Don't know if You guys in US have ever heard about B6's without a boardcomputers, but here they cost like hell. :| The car is -02 A4 1.8T Quattro.

Cheers a bunch!

:m:

PS. I don't know if the boardcomputer is proper english word for the thing, but it is the MFA, that gives avg speeds, travel times etc. Completely useless, but nice to have and easy to get.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Re: Boardcomputer as postinstallation

If you can read German, this may help you: <a href="http://www.audi4ever.at/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21016">A4-8E - FIS nachrüsten</a>, I don't know if Babelfish works with the board.

With VAG-COM you have to change STG 17, adaptation 10, channel 19 to:
x?xxx: Board Computer
0 - only Level 2 (long time memory)
1 - Level 1 and 2

and probably:
xx?xx: Driver Information System (DIS)
0 - DIS 1
1 - Highline without DIS
2 - DIS 2

(see <a href="http://en.openobd.org/audi/a4_8e.htm#17">en.openobd.org</a> for more)

The blue plug on your instrument cluster, pin 1, is for the windshield washer fluid. With the right contact or when connected to gnd the warning won't appear.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:00 AM

Thanks. My german isn't too good, but the steering wheel removal procedure is quite familiar from VW-scene.

Where the instrument panel actually is? Should I access it under the hood or inside the cabin?

Althou the new lever doesn't give any clue about "level 1 &amp; 2" FIS, I think the reset button, when shortly pressed, changes the level, right? Therefore I'd choose 1 for the first option and 2 for the second one. The latter is 2 just because it feels better. Any facts whats the difference between the options? My car definetely isn't highline and I have some DIS features (mileage, temperature, door display). Gotta check what they're by default.

Cheers
Old 09-09-2005, 03:52 AM

Did you manage to install FIS already?

I'm planning to install FIS myself so I'd definitely like to hear if there is something you wouldn't do or you had to do.

Especially, that washer fluid level sensor wiring is something that I need to sort out...

Greetings,
- J -

ps. now that I'm looking at your nickname - are you from Finland?