A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Boost problem or something like that Audi A4 1.8T quattro -04

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No i have not doen anyting but drive the car as i use to...
The problems came and went for some days... some days there were no problem and some days i had it... now its been running fine for about a week...

Could be the sensor, but not sure... its not motivated to pay for an faulty search for 100$ if there isnt any problems right now..

I have an warranty on the car for about one more year, and that covers "almost everything expencive" aslong as there is a problem that can be proved... otherwise i have to pay for it myself

So i want to wait and see or rather wait until the problem comes again..
But im also a little conserned if this problem will accelerate now when the winter comes... hope not.. dont want to be standing along the highway in any snowstorm :-P
Old 09-23-2010, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Keep us posted
Old 09-23-2010, 06:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Absolutly!

The only thing that buggs me right now is that its a little bit harder to start when standing still over night then before...

Best Regards
Old 09-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

And problems are back...
Havent had any problems for like 16 days now...

Went for an short drive to shop some dinner this evning and the car worked as normal...
After about 1- 1½ hour i went to work... I started the car and let it stand on idle for about an minute ( i was packing the car)
Adter about an minute i could hear the cooling fan start and go up to maximum (like an airplane)... i let it sit in idle for like one more minute and the coolingfan stopped (or lowerd speed anyway... could not hear it like before)
I drove of and well... low boost... between 0.3-0.5bar... Went out on the highway and accelerated up to 140 km/h (took long time due to lack of boost)... I let go of the gaspedal and let it lower speed to 100 km/h... then full gas upp to 140 km/h again a coulpe of times... and al the sudden full boost again...

It sounds more and more like someting with the temp system... most likly the cooling temp sensor... perhaps the green one in the back part of engine... Or what do you think??
Everytime i had these boost issue the cooling fan has been going of in full speed when staring the car... so it muct be connected somehow?!?

Thanks
Best Regards all of you
Old 09-29-2010, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

As I said before, I would definitely start with the green sensor; inexpensive and relatively easy.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, i will start there... I will leave it to VAG to change it for free (warranty that covers the sensor)
Old 10-04-2010, 02:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Got my codes read today

had 2 codes

P0118 - Engine coolant temperature circuit, high input
-Permanent

P0141 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
-Intermittent

The first one is the G62 temp sensor and its going to be replaced on the 21st this month

The second one is one of the lambda sensors... i suspect the rear one after cat?!?
Dont know why this one has generated any codes... The car inspection i did a week ago did not se any codes and my exhasut readings where superb... 0 on everything and 1.01 on lambda... ( the limit is 0.97 - 1.03)

Anyway can the code on the lambda has been generated due to the malfunction on the G62 sensor?
The rear one is only for diagnostics or am i wrong now?
Or could the lambda be one of two problems that causing the issues i have?
Old 10-04-2010, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My 2 cents: Fix anything that has a "permanent" code and monitor anything that is "intermittent". If you fix the temp sensor and your problem goes away, just monitor the o2 sensors. I am convinced that in some cases, some fault codes are "sympathetic" to other issues, so I believe yes, indirectly, the temp sensor could cause the o2 sensor error becuase of the way the ECU controls the engine off nominal.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

absolutly

The rear O2 sensor helps the engine on cold starts by sensoring the exhaust mixture and temp (together with the front O2 sensor) ... and if the problems have been the G62 that thinks the engine is warm when its cold and trying to cool it down and mixing air and fuel for an hot engine the O2 sensor gets the wrong readings...

I hope thats the case anyway... but only time will tell... cant get the G62 sensor exchanged untill the 21st so i will have to wait...
Old 10-04-2010, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You have described the specific situation that I believe would throw the false 02 sensor codes. Let us know how she runs after you get the temp sensor done

Quick Reply: Boost problem or something like that Audi A4 1.8T quattro -04