A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Bose CD "Error 3" Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose CD "Error 3" Advice Please

I am getting that "Error "3 on my Bose head unit (6 disc changer). Like the rest of the posts, I am getting the usual symptom of it sounds like it is trying to eject but just can not. Nor can it accept a feed. And yes, there is a cd with a label in it that I believe has caused this problem. Can anyone advise me on what I should try before taking to the dealership? Any specific advice would be greatly appreciated . Also, should I try to buy the head unit keys to remove myself and where can I purchase???
Old 03-03-2007, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A couple of options...

If the car is still under warranty, then take it to the dealership and have them do all the work. They'll have to order a new "remanufactured" radio and then have you come in to have it replaced (30min job). They'll send it back and have the CD's removed and sent back to you. I had this done and actually got my CD's after about 3-4 months, but I've read that a lot of people never get their CD's back.

If the car is not under warranty you can take the radio out and take it a part to retrieve your CD's. Someone posted here about 2-3 months ago about how to do it. You will have to tear it apart.

If you want to buy the radio keys they can be had for around $21 from www.samstagsales.com
These are the official dealership tools. You can find knock-off tools for less money but I personally like the rubber coating on these. <ul><li><a href="http://www.samstagsales.com/vwaudi.htm#radio">http://www.samstagsales.com/vwaudi.htm#radio</a></li></ul>
Old 03-05-2007, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default 2nd that

happened to me about 3 months ago. took it to the dealer and got it replaced under CPO for $50 deductable. Just giving you a heads up that it was not caused by me. they are probably going to give you sh*t about it when they see the label caused it.

So i would bring it to the dealer, insist you did nothing (because when they find out it is the label that caused it, it will be in some service factory in ohio or something and will be too late to charge you - you will already have your replaced HU). because the actual dealer will not see any visible damage.

And if it ever comes back at you months later, just say you asked some audi rep if you can put labeled cds in it and he/she said "yes" and blame audi for inconsistent responses on behalf of their staff.

Good luck!