A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Bose Package - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No highs, no lows...must be Bose...

NOT worth the $$$...you could easily upgrade the standard factory system for the same $$$ as the Bose option and get much better sound. I had to take the Bose package because there were no other cars with the exact options I wanted...so basically I paid for Bose in order to get my Xenons. It's all getting replaced with aftermarket gear.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:02 AM
Elder Member

Default Listen to both and check this...

The only difference I could tell is that my non-Bose radio would be three or four volume settings higher than a Bose radio, but the sound quality was the same. (ie. If the Bose was set to 10, my non-Bose was around 13 or 14 to achieve the same sound level, but the quality of the sound was the same.) I'm no audiophile by any stretch, but my ears couldn't tell the difference between the two once we had the two radios at the same sound level.

YMMV
Old 07-24-2003, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default maybe, but if you are going to upgrade to aftermarket then do it right for a few $100 more...

Keep the factory deck as it's a fairly decent unit. Also keep the factory rear speakers for rear fill if you so desire (I prefer only front stage myself). Pick up an Xtant X603 factory reconditioned amp for $380 at Sounddomain.com (retails new for $1000), a nice 6.5 inch component set for $3-500, and a 10" Image Dynamics IDQ sub for $170 also at Sounddomain.com. You can easily build a good enclosure for the sub for $20 worth of materials from Home Depot. Either do the relatively simple install yourself for the cost of an amp wiring kit ($50-80), or pay a qualified install shop $100-150. Total cost from $1000 to $1300. Bose option is $650 so we're talking $350 more. Of course you could pick up quality new/used gear on EBay and cut a few $100 off the total so you could get damn close to Bose price and get significantly better sound.

The Xtant amp is top quality and delivers plenty of very clean power to 3 channels. The IDQ sub is extremely tight and accurate and only needs a .35-.7 ft^3 enclosure so we're talking minimum space. As for front stage components...there are plenty of options...MB Quart, Focal, Diamond Audio, CDT, JL Audio, Infinity, Boston Acoustics, Image Dynamics.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Same situation for me...but I'm not satisfied with the Bose like you
Old 07-24-2003, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here is my opinion...

I listened to the BOSE system in a car on the dealer lot with my favorite test CD and it had no fidelity what-so-ever. I could not tell the difference between BOSE and non-BOSE system on the dealer lot.

Also looking at the ETKA parts manual you can see that some of the speakers are identical in the two setup (I think the front mid ranges are) it's the extra 2ch on the amp and the tweeters and the rear mid range are different. The HU is the same too.

It had plenty of highs but lacked bass completely and had no dynamic range what-so-ever.

I might set the bar a tad higher than the average customer (<A HREF="https://forums.audiworld.com/audio/msgs/29933.phtml">my setup</A>), but I don't think the BOSE package is worth the $600. Your money would be better spent on an aftermarket sub and amp.

For the majority of the people the stock system will be adequate, but after listening to the stock system seeing what the stock speakers are made of (paper cone with plastic(!) basket) there was no way they were going to cut it for me. However even I could not feel/hear the difference between the BOSE and the stock setup, they were both equally inadequate.

But since the car you already eye-balling has BOSE in it, it's a moot point wondering whether it's better to get it or not, just think of it as $600 extra that I don't think you get much (if anything) for.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:42 AM

That's a good one.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

How about BOSE = Better Off with Stealing Equipment...
Old 07-24-2003, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Great info! One more question...

I can't afford to lose any trunk space (and often fold down the rear seat to hold long items), so I think even a small sub enclosure is out of the question. Must use the stock location in the rear deck. I know this will lower the sound quality, but such is life. Any sub suggestions? Would this change the amp recommendation? Thanks.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Great - Better than live concert!

Just waiting for all the audiofiles (is that what they're called?) to come out of the woodwork. The rest of us weren't blessed with such gifted ears.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audiophiles is the operative word :-D

Quick Reply: Bose Package - worth it?