A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

burning clutch smell... I got stuck in some deep snow

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burning clutch smell... I got stuck in some deep snow

I got stuck in some deep snow/ice (with my 2005 A4) when I went skiing a few weeks back, I tried forcing my way out of the ice's grip (hell it should be a pretty storng car) which I failed miserably. After a lot of work of breaking the ice with a shovel and releasing the wheels I tried it again. This time wheels were free so I jist rocked back and forth untill the car managed to climb out of the ice.

Car also seemed fine after that, but after a few runs the clutch started sliding and now I can't really accelerate because the clutch always slides. And if I try to accelerate too quickly the car starts to actually rock and jitter.

Does this mean I need to replace the entire clutch or will changing the disc be enough?
Anybody got any idea how much it'll cost?
Should I go to a dealership or just any garage?

thanks...
Old 03-14-2007, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sounds like your clutch is toast...

Problem is you never really know what needs to be changed, until you have clutch apart/removed from the car.

If the clutch disk is bad, there's a possibly the pressure plate and flywheel might be bad...

Normally, when a clutch is changed, the pressure plate, disk, and throwout bearing are replaced. With a resurface of the flywheel.

If your flywheel is not too bad, it may just need resurfacing...

Cost?

Depends who, and where the work will be done.

Call around your local area for price quotes, or do a search forums here on AW.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default that exact behavior occured once when I had my last car...

assuming you will have the same end result. Sooo...

Ended up being JUST the clutch plate. I had them save it for me so I could see what the damage looks like. The thing was all scraped and burned up.

Sounds like your 'rocking in snow' episode is the direct cause of you not being able to accellerate in a high gear without slippage. I would steer clear of audi dealerships to get this number fixed. shop around independant garages and buy a 3rd party part for them to install (after they diagnose it and let you know exactly what is going on). This way, you'll be in a better situation than before the clutch broke. the 3rd party clutch will be able to take more punishment without wearing as much than your stock audi clutch.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago. i needed an entire clutch replacement. good luck