A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

A/C, keyless entry, and cruise control issues with potential purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C, keyless entry, and cruise control issues with potential purchase

Greetings. Cross posting from the 4000/Coupe GT board. I've found an '04 A4 1.8T with low miles and in great condition. It's time for me to venture into the realm of the A4... yes, there is life after the '80s. I'd really like to buy this A4, but concerned about issues with the following:

1) AIR CONDITIONING: A/C won't turn on. LED on ECON button turns off when depressed, but comes right back on when releasing the button. No compressor, no cooling fans, but AC charge is just fine. Is this an obvious control module issue, or is there something else to check?

2) KEYLESS ENTRY: Replaced batteries in remote, but still doesn't work. Dealer made observation that the remote portion of the key looks much older than the actual key portion. He bought the car from an auction from VW Financing and suspects that the remote is not actually from this car, maybe a repo and they just ordered a new key and grabbed some other remote? I plan to take it to a shop that can reprogram the remote. If it's more than just reprogramming, what else could be the issue? Note that manually using the key in the door activates and deactivates door locks and alarm just fine.

3) CRUISE CONTROL: Just won't work. Indicator light on dash won't even come on. Potential cause/remedy cost?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 12-14-2010, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fox-2-4kq
Greetings. Cross posting from the 4000/Coupe GT board. I've found an '04 A4 1.8T with low miles and in great condition. It's time for me to venture into the realm of the A4... yes, there is life after the '80s. I'd really like to buy this A4, but concerned about issues with the following:

1) AIR CONDITIONING: A/C won't turn on. LED on ECON button turns off when depressed, but comes right back on when releasing the button. No compressor, no cooling fans, but AC charge is just fine. Is this an obvious control module issue, or is there something else to check?

2) KEYLESS ENTRY: Replaced batteries in remote, but still doesn't work. Dealer made observation that the remote portion of the key looks much older than the actual key portion. He bought the car from an auction from VW Financing and suspects that the remote is not actually from this car, maybe a repo and they just ordered a new key and grabbed some other remote? I plan to take it to a shop that can reprogram the remote. If it's more than just reprogramming, what else could be the issue? Note that manually using the key in the door activates and deactivates door locks and alarm just fine.

3) CRUISE CONTROL: Just won't work. Indicator light on dash won't even come on. Potential cause/remedy cost?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chuck
I can only comment on 2: if you change the battery on the remote, put the key in the ignition, turn on, press on the lock button to synchronize with the car, now remove the key and try the remote.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

1) Generally means you are low on freon. You sure the charge is good?

2) Already have input...

3) Never dealt with that one. Would always start with simple stuff. Fuse?
Old 12-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to have the car scanned at a dealership or find someone with
VAGCOM/VCDS. If you are going to own a newer audi and can do some maintenance yourself VAGCOM/VCDS (www.ross-tech.com) is a must have.

Last edited by naconi; 12-15-2010 at 12:14 PM.