A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Can tires make car pull to one side?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can tires make car pull to one side?

Greetings All,

Just bought a 2005 A4 last month. Noticed the car was pulling to the right. The Audi dealership first told me it was a combination of road crowning and my 18" wheels. Had a technician drive it - he noticed it was not just that. They adjusted my alignment and tow angle - and the car still pulled to the right. He switched the left and right front tires and now it pulls to the left!

Can tire condition (assuing pressure is proper and even on both sides) make the car pull like that? I want to get some expert advice before I blow a bunch of duckets on new tires if it is something much more sinister...

Cheers!
Old 04-13-2006, 05:06 AM

Default What does the tread look like? Is there any apparent wear?

Crowning in the road can cause a pull,,, take your car to a smooth level parking lot and let go of the wheel , see what happens. Also try putting the rear tires up front. If they have not been rotated that may help.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:15 AM

Default Re: What does the tread look like? Is there any apparent wear?

Yes. Around 1/3 of the tire tread width is very worn to the outside of both tires. What puzzles me is that both tires appear to show identically wear. The rears are have less tread but are evenly worn across the width. I will move them up front and give it a shot. Thanks
Old 04-13-2006, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Alignment was/is off causing the uneven tire wear.

Here's my example - I've bought winter tires in November and about 4k later I've decided to rotate them (rears tires to the front and fronts to the rear). I immidiately noticed that my car was pulling to the right a fair amount. Shortly thereafter I got an alignment done and the shop told me that my right rear toe was off. I'm thinking that because it was off, the right rear tire wasn't worn properly but I've only noticed it when that tire was mounted on the front.

Moral of the story is that it doesn't take long to fvck up tires w/o a proper alignment.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:44 AM

Default Re: Alignment was/is off causing the uneven tire wear.

Yeah. Hard to tell exactly what is going on here since the car was just aligned when it went through the Pre-Owned Certification process, and I have only driven it 1k miles, but the tires were worn when I bought it. So doing some logical elimination I am thinking it has to be the tires in some way, shape or form. Both tires are identical in size (SportContact 2's 235/40 ZR18 95Y), but perhaps they are different in weight because of the rim? I am grasping at straws here, but I have a feeling I am facing the purchase of some new rubber.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Weight of tire/rim has nothing to do with it. Yeah, you need a new set of tires.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Might want to edit the "Subject" when replying. Makes it easier to follow the thread.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:56 AM

2nd!
Old 04-13-2006, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default air pressure and/or check diameter of tire with a tape measure....

Check diameter of both front tires in the middle tread. If one tire is larger, you have split which will cause the pull. All tires do grow and sometimes not evenly. If that is the case you may need to find the two tires with the closest diameter for the fronts.

Quick Reply: Can tires make car pull to one side?