A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Cant start the my recently aquired Audi a4

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant start the my recently aquired Audi a4

Hi guys, ive been owning quite a few VW's in my life time but never an audi, i work at a local dealership and got access to the auctions. Bought a 2003 Audi A4 1.8T with 91k miles, the car was 12 hours away in Virginia and were from Buffalo NY, on the auction listing it said Runs and Drives, well they lied the battery was dead when we got there. I had couple hours to mess around with the car trying to start it, well i coundt, bought a new battery, the motor turns and there is spark. I coundnt start the car, so had to leave it there and get it delivered. Now im a little bit scared, what could be the problem ? How do i go by diagnosing it, maybe someone here can point me in the right direction, the car is being delivered later today so i want to start working on it asap.

Update:
Update we got the car to buffalo, i charged up the battery seems to be holding fine. Only problems i have encountered is the fans never turn off i have to manually disconnect the battery for them to go off. And only thing i could get with a scanner is P0328 Knock Sensor 1, Circuit High Input (Bank 1)

Any suggestions ? I still cant get her to start.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Lots of questions arise to me, most of which will make me sound like your Dad, so to be helpful:

1) Was the scanner a VAGCOM or generic?
2) Is there an immobilizer light (little car with a key underneath)?
3) Is there a MIL (little engine with a lightning bolt)?
4) The knock sensor is interesting, but I have a different theory as those sensors are very very reliable.
5) Is the drain underneath your ECU clogged? ECU is to the right of the battery under the cowl cover.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by lyleswk
Lots of questions arise to me, most of which will make me sound like your Dad, so to be helpful:

1) Was the scanner a VAGCOM or generic?
2) Is there an immobilizer light (little car with a key underneath)?
3) Is there a MIL (little engine with a lightning bolt)?
4) The knock sensor is interesting, but I have a different theory as those sensors are very very reliable.
5) Is the drain underneath your ECU clogged? ECU is to the right of the battery under the cowl cover.
To answer your questions,

1. it was a generic scanner
2. I did not see a immobilizer light
3. There is a MIL ( when i turn the key and try to start the car i see a "service" light
4. I ordered a knock sensor, and crack position sensor for the car.
5. Ill have to check the ECU later on today when i get to the shop from work.

Thank you for helping me out, this is the only car me and the wife got right now so its tough and its not running, i have to drive around in dealership cars her and my self to work. I need to fix this thing. And your the first guy to reply in few forums i posted in. Thank you!
Old 01-08-2014, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Not sure a generic reader with catch the crank sensor (or ESS on our cars), so that's a good start...that was punny. I would hold off on the knock sensor because that may be related to the ECU (see below).

So once you have done that, try and start it. If it starts and runs normally, you should be done with that issue. Now on to the fan.

It is usually one of three things and I would look at them in this order: 1) "green" temp sensor, but you will be able to tell if that's the issue if the coolant gage doesn't work properly.
2) I would take a careful look at the ECU because there are 3 relays that sit in water / moisture and corrode and short with the classic symptom being the constantly running fans. This can also short out communication to the ECU which could be a cause the knock sensor issue.
3) Fan controller.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Update: So i had installed the crank shaft position sensor, changed the oil, changed the knock sensor and still same exact problem. The car cranks but doesnt start. I dont know what else to do, i checked the ecu, its in the box to the right? I didnt see any relays over there, but it looked dry and clean. What else could i check out ?

Not sure a generic reader with catch the crank sensor (or ESS on our cars), so that's a good start...that was punny. I would hold off on the knock sensor because that may be related to the ECU (see below).

So once you have done that, try and start it. If it starts and runs normally, you should be done with that issue. Now on to the fan.

It is usually one of three things and I would look at them in this order: 1) "green" temp sensor, but you will be able to tell if that's the issue if the coolant gage doesn't work properly.
2) I would take a careful look at the ECU because there are 3 relays that sit in water / moisture and corrode and short with the classic symptom being the constantly running fans. This can also short out communication to the ECU which could be a cause the knock sensor issue.
3) Fan controller.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I got fuel and spark, i need to check compression. I dont know how to check compression, they should sell tools at autozone ? Maybe the timing got messed up ? My friend has whole top of the engine for this specific audi as he had head gasket issues so he got 4 new coils from the audi dealership laying around ill grab those too and see what happens. This is driving me nuts not being able to figure out whats wrong with the car.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

1) A quick description of compression test, although I think you need to get the thing to fire first.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/compression.htm

2) The relays are inside the box underneath the ECU. If it looks dry, I would not suspect this.

3) Where did you get the ESS or Crank Sensor as you note below.

4) I really think you need to get a VAGCOM reader to see if the problem is electronic before you go ripping the head off.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I dont have a Vagcom, i got both parts from Autozone, they looked identical as to the parts i took off. Whats interesting when i turn on the key to on it right away says "service" on the gauge. I need to find someone with vagcom, i have the cable but not the software, well my cable is generic one so i dont even know if that is good or not.

1) A quick description of compression test, although I think you need to get the thing to fire first.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/compression.htm

2) The relays are inside the box underneath the ECU. If it looks dry, I would not suspect this.

3) Where did you get the ESS or Crank Sensor as you note below.

4) I really think you need to get a VAGCOM reader to see if the problem is electronic before you go ripping the head off.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by telefanatic
I dont have a Vagcom, i got both parts from Autozone, they looked identical as to the parts i took off. Whats interesting when i turn on the key to on it right away says "service" on the gauge. I need to find someone with vagcom, i have the cable but not the software, well my cable is generic one so i dont even know if that is good or not.
sent you pm
Old 01-15-2014, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Maybe "toofast" is helping off line with a VAGCOM, but the "Service" light in the display only reflects when you need to do primarily oil service, so I doubt that is of interest.

Also, generic parts have been know to not work on Audi's. Take a look at the recent thread called 1.8t ESP light and generic part not working.

Quick Reply: Cant start the my recently aquired Audi a4