A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Car got hit and damaged molding and need to repair DIY to save money

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car got hit and damaged molding and need to repair DIY to save money

Hi everyone,

Need someone to help me out. Lady hit my car today (ya I am peeved) however, she scraped the driver side back door molding that sits in the middle of the door and goes across the door. What I need to know is can I just take that molding off (is it taped doublesided)or if will I rip the paint underneath it if I try. Also, what sandpaper should I get to sand it and paint it again. I have a black audi A4 1.8t Quattro. So I need:

1) Grit of sand paper
2) Do I need a primer
3) what paint should I buy and where to get it
4) Clearcoat do they sell this in a can and where
5) Should I take the molding off or just put paper below and above to stop the spray paint.

I am in Canada so if Canadian tire has this and if anyone has done this, could they please advise. Everyone has been awesome on this forum.

Thx
Old 03-06-2010, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure that the moulding your talking about is no different than the one's on the rest of the car.

That is it's held on with Double Sided Tape and some fasteners. They are a single use item (meaning once you remove them you'll need to get another one.

From the Official Maintenance Manual...

Protective Moldings

Note: Protective moldings cannot be removed without destroying them.

– To remove protective moldings -1- and -2-, heat using a hot air blower and pull off from door.
– Adhesion surface must be free of dust and grease.
– Clean outer panel with mineral spirits, treat with silicone remover and rub dry.
- Protective moldings must be affixed only at room temperature.
- For this purpose, bring vehicle and protective moldings to room temperature at least 2 hours before processing.
- Protective moldings must be adhered within 90 minutes after protective foil has been removed.

The part number for the left rear Protection Strip is 8E0 853 963 or 8E0 853 963 GRU. Give your local Dealership a call and tell them your VIN to confirm. They cost about $48.00USD (+ tax and shipping) online at ECSTuning.com or Worldimpex.com and come either primed or already painted.

I've been doing Autobody and Painting for 10 years now as a hobby and I can tell you it would cheaper and easier (not to mention look better) for you to replace it than trying to repair/paint it yourself, while it's still on the car yet.

Send me a pm if want and I'll send you the page that tells you how to remove and install the thing.

Cheers