A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Car just came from Santa Monica Audi for 49,700-mile check up

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car just came from Santa Monica Audi for 49,700-mile check up

Most info here may be more useful in the Regional forum, but I have general questions after...

I searched the forums and everyone was basically saying don't go to Santa Monica Audi - they are known to have the worse service and reputation. Perhaps they finally lose their Audi dealership license that further search show they have been purchased by Beverly Hills Audi.

(I transferred place and Santa Monica Audi is 2 miles away from where I now live versus 20 miles away from my previous dealer).

I take a chance and make an appointment - which was for yesterday. Brought the car in for final warranty check up. Experience was on the positive side.

It's just funny and sad going to various Audi dealers and getting different results when they all quote you the same reason that their basis is from Audi of America.

1. Wiper Blades: I have been coming to Rusnack Audi in Pasadena and the last service they denied changing my wiper blades as it is NOT covered by Audi of America anymore.

I go to Santa Monica Audi and just asked the service advisor how much to replace my wiper blades. He said it's free under warranty. I asked if they will replace the rear blades, too. Same warranty. Hmm.

2. Headlight moisture: Same rejection from all dealers and not even an effort to take a look at it since I got the car (from Royal Motors SF, to Rusnack Pasadena, then Santa Monica Audi.)

3. Tensioner pulley/Serpentiine belt: They checked the noise and don't see any. Their quote on paper "OK to manufacturer specs."

So what are the manufacturer specs for producing noise? I think they should publish some white paper or sound clips to compare "manufacturer spec" noise to our own engine car noise. If it sounds similar, then its OK to manufacturer specs. Lol.

I will bring the car again to Rusnack Audi before the warranty expires for the same reason.

4. Rear Brakes: They measured and I'm at 6mm. Audi specs to replace is at 5mm. So no replacement necessary. Aargh! I knew I should have braked a little more harder before sending it in. Dammit!

This car is definitely coming in for another check up at Rusnack. 200 more miles later and I'm sure I'll be below 5mm.

5. Change Oil: The cost to change oil is USD140.21 - this includes a $10.20 Oil filter, $27.12 Oil [$6.78x4], $7.62 Top Fluid and $0.68 Washer. Labor is $77.50. They also add a mysterious "Misc Charges" of $12.31 which I can't make out as to what on the receipt. Finally a tax of $4.78 completes the bill.

By the way engine oil P/N is ZVP-000-540. Is this synthetic? I asked and they said yes. Just want tot make sure.

6. Misc: They surprisingly discovered a leaking motor mount on the left and right which states they replaced both, but don't indicate any part number.

Got the car by 4.30pm after bringing it in by 8.45am. Not bad with all the work done. Now to compare what Rusnack will do to the car next month.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol @ #5. I get my oil changed for $55 with Motul synth.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I know. Sux at the dealer.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

why wasn't the oil change free?
Old 01-10-2007, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Nice...some thoughts

Oil change is pricey! My adviser charges me $75 for synthetic oil changes. What's the labor rate out there? I think its like $105 or $110 here in Boston. It is a requirement of AoA to use synthetic and the larger oil filter on 1.8T engines so I think you should be good. Are you going to do 5k oil changes now?

The blades, you got lucky on. I know they replace one pair free within the 1 year or 20k miles. I got one free replacement on my car.

You should ask them to get the regional rep/manager involved for the headlights. Tell them that it is not normal. They should try and blow out the headlights to dry them up and see if it comes back. That should be the procedure to see if it is the headlights that are having an issue with being air tight. Don't give up on this.

The noise...did you go outside with the adviser and tech to listen to it? Like I said when I brought mine in, they looked at it while I wasn't there and said they couldn't hear it. But when I went to pick it up, I asked the tech and adviser to come out as it was making the same noise again and I pointed it out and they heard it. So maybe try this method.

Brakes...just brake hard a few times before the warranty is up and you should get those rears down =D Are they still original rears? I got mine replaced at 29,000 I believe. Front's are original at 55k miles =P

Good luck!
Old 01-10-2007, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oh, cos later MY had change oil set at 15, 25, 35, 45, etc intervals.

So technically my last free service is at 45K.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

oh yeah... forgot about that
Old 01-10-2007, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks for info once again.

I forgot about showing him the sound because it was so hectic everyone was picking up their cars that I completely drove off thinking I had a few more miles to go before warranty ends. Will definitely do that at the next visit.

You caught me on the oil change. Yes, I know I may be late on this but better late than never, right? Will be doing 5K, but after that experience definitely not at the dealer. Actually how I ended up doing an oil change was like this...

I brought the car in and asked to do a check on the car before the warranty ends. He said unless there is something wrong with it, they can't do a check on the vehicle to find something wrong. Then he mentioned if I wanted to just perform minor maintenance service at $145. I thought this was their charge to take a look at the vehicle, but then it ended up to mean it also included an change oil. So its all good in a way since by paying this they did inspect the vehicle and find a leaking exhaust pipe due from my recent install of an aftermarket DP plus they also replaced the motor mounts up front.

And yeah I was happy about the blades because he simply said they were free versus my questioning the other dealer why it wasn't free and my failed insistent attempt to have them replaced by them.

As for my brakes, you won't believe how hard I brake. I already had my fronts replaced awhile back. While I'm sporting on my 3rd rear brakes (meaning this was replaced twice already). So at the rate I'm eating up my rear brakes, it won't be long until it goes down before warranty ends. Come to think of it I'm consuming like front brakes every 35K miles, while rear brakes at 15K miles.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 91 Posts
Default No problem

I almost forgot too but when I started the car up and heard the noise again, I knew I had to grab the adviser and tech while I was there so they could hear what I was hearing. And it paid off.

Yeah, my adviser said the same thing. They can't go "check" the car for problems unless you want to pay an hour of diagnostics but if you do an oil change, they're going to be looking over the car anyways and he would put down a few things on the repair order to look at that might be common issues.

True, better late than never. I'm sure the 10k changes were fine pending synthetic was used ;-)

Yeah, my only free pair was at 14,500 miles. Then I used the same pair till about a month ago when I replaced them, the right side was finally streaking. So they lasted me 40,000 miles =P

Wow, you go through brake pads like nothing! Guess its all the highway driving I do where I'm rarely on the brakes but I do my share of city driving as well. Last they measured at 50k, I had more than half of the front pads left (inner and outer) at 9mm (new is 14mm) and rear was about the same. Definitely try to get those rears down to a tad less than 5 and they'll replace them for ya before the warranty lady leaves