A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Car just stalled today. No warning. No CEL. Nothing. Just died on the road.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

No problem. Hope they take care of the issues on Monday.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think the output stage opened up .... no cel .... coasted to a stop .. all it did was crank

fuel was fine
Old 01-31-2007, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Perhaps they are trying to see if the software fix will solve it. But it didn't.

Perhaps on Monday they will finally decide if I need a new mirror.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default UPDATE: Fuel Pump; Plus, thoughts on my rental car. (Am I the only '05 pump failure?)

So here's what happened today, I called the dealer around noon to get an update as I haven't received any call yet. Advisor told me the car hasn't been looked at still and have no guaranty that it will be looked at today as they are very busy. I said I'm not demanding to be first in line in front of anyone, but if they are extremely busy and can't be attended to today to even know what can be wrong with my car then I can gladly just have it towed to my normal dealer who can check my car today. I said this in a non-evasive way and even said I don't want to add any more to their being busy. My only concern is the car has been in since yesterday with no indication that it will be looked at today. Plus I'm paying for a rental car since yesterday which means just because they can't look to diagnose to even know if it's a simple problem of a malfunction to read the key or something major then I have to be paying for my rental for God knows how many more days until they decide it's my turn. When my normal dealer could have looked at it yesterday and I could have been sent off today. Furthermore, I'm invoking my extended warranty which means they only pay for the hours lost to diagnose and repair the problem. So if it's a fuel pump, then they obviously won't pay for my rental especially for the days that the car hasn't been diagnosed yet.

He said he will get back to me later in the afternoon to have the car diagnosed. I reminded no pressure, but if he can't it's going to the other dealer. So he calls in the afternoon to say it's the fuel pump, but it can be fixed by tomorrow since he said he has to get authorization from my extended warranty - which happens to be Audi Pure Protection. Yeah, fine. I say okay, but reminded him my rental car is ticking.

So hopefully I get my car tomorrow. Then on Monday it goes back to the other dealer for follow-up on the headlight issue and noise.

RENTAL CAR: Chevrolet HHR aka HEARSE

I was choosing between a Ford Focus or this. I chose this since it looks more fun.

Car has no ergonomic intentions for the driver or passenger - at all. Wow, it's amazing how this car can get a greenlight (nevermind the shape of the car as it's a hit and miss on taste to which my comment on what I feel the car is as stated above) on the interior. Window switches are on the center console to have an old Euro feel, but the placement if far ahead that unless you're 5 feet or below, you will have to scoot forward. Aside from visual clue, no tactile indication which window window switch is which.

Handling, just like any other American car is dangerous. Super light. No feel for the road. Floating on the water like a boat. I don't feel safe taking this car at high speeds.

Engine shows more power than my Audi. Perhaps due to torque. Front wheel drive easily squeels when I step on the gas pedal. Where the heck is the traction control for this thing?

Good part is that it has excellent fuel economy. 35mpg on the highway is what my display reported. Damn. Who needs a hybrid.

Also good is that the display, which visually sucks by the way, reports digital read out of coolant and oil temperature. If they can build this in for a sub-$20K car, why can't Audi do the same on a $35K car?

Lastly, the color of the car is gold. Bling, bling! Get out of the way, the hearse is coming to get ya!

Anyway, I doubt someone is reading this far. But am I the only one with an '05 that has a failed fuel pump?
Old 02-01-2007, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Wow, it was the fuel pump, huh? I think you're the first with an '05 to have this fail...

does the warranty cover the fuel pump? I hear its an expensive unit to fix, something like $900 or something out of warranty.

Hopefully the other stuff gets fixed as well with the other dealer

Enjoy the "hearse" ;-)
Old 02-01-2007, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Didn't realize it was that expensive. That's crazy. Hopefully extended warranty covers it.

Or I'm cancelling that thing.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My 04.5 failed (or was days from failing). Does that count? :)

Failed at about 48K miles, still just inside warranty. Replaced the pump and filter, no idea of cost.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yay, more failed fuel pumps. It's always either a failed CP or a failed fuel pump.

I agree on the Ford Focus, it's a pos.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, it does. Cost to replace filter alone is USD130+ incl (labor + part) at dealer.

While as GDawgA4 stated, around USD900 for fuel pump. So around USD1K. Lucky you parts are brand new again without cost.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default And both of them give you some scary $hit experience when it happens on the road.

I still like driving the Audi, though. If only reliability can rival that of luxury Japanese cars as well. it would have been a winner as an auto brand to recommend.

Quick Reply: Car just stalled today. No warning. No CEL. Nothing. Just died on the road.