A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Changed Coolant Temp Sensor, now E-Fan stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed Coolant Temp Sensor, now E-Fan stopped working

Hello: i recently got a SES light for the ECT sensor. To high of a signal or something like that. At the time the E-Fan would constantly stay on when i started the car. I have just fixed the sensor last night (PITA) let me tell you. And now my E-fan wont turn on at all. Not even after the car has been running for long times. I checked the fuse and its good. This is my wifes car so I really dont mess with it. Im good with mechanics but new to Audi.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How do you know the fan is not running? ....

The fan only runs when the coolent leaving the radiator is above a certain temp, and then, will run at a fairly low speed at first, and does not make hardly any noise running slow. The second fan on the passenger side, is the A/C condenser fan and runs when the A/C is ON in either AUTO or Manual mode.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Changed Coolant Temp Sensor, now E-Fan stopped working

i think your fine. i have been having issues with my fan as well and purchased a new semsor from ecs. i am goig to throw it in tonight. the only reason i knew something was wrong was because the fan was coming on. it did not due this in the past.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default little help..

i purchased a new coolant temp sensor from ecs. i threw it in the car and the fan still kicks on. turns out that we have two sensors? i believe i replaced the four prong sensor. do you know the part # and or the location of the second senser? tech said that it looks like the wires leading into the sensor melted it
Old 10-24-2007, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i purchased the first of the two. i take it that i need the second one? does this sound right?

FROM ECS WEBSITE
Engine Cooling
Temperature Sensor
OEM Coolant Temperature Sensor With O-Ring ES#8485
Revised Green 4 pin sensor. With square/round connector. Replaces faulty black style.
$29.95
In Stock

Engine Electrical
Senders/Sensors Water Temperture
Coolant Temperture Sensor ES#8268
2-pin black sensor for water temperture
$22.39
In Stock
Old 10-25-2007, 05:41 AM

Default Re: How do you know the fan is not running? ....

I started the car and ran it for about 15 minutes. Had the hood open and can see the fans arent turning. The engine warms in like two minutes. I get stuck in traffic alot and am a lil worried about over heating issues. So far the gauge moves half way and stays, so far so good. Ill check to see if the fan kicks on with A/C. Thanks for everyones help
Old 10-25-2007, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There are two sensors, one in the coolent flange at the rear of the cyl head, ...

the second is in the lower radiator hose. The sensor on the cyl head, is the four pin, and has two sensor elements inside, one for the temp gauge, the other for the ECU. The two pin sensor in the lower radiator hose, controls the rad fan.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default nice. i think i need the two pin sensor. do you happen to know the part #?

thanks in advance
Old 10-25-2007, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Check to be SURE, that there is NO water in the ECU box! ...

Probably not involved, but worth confirmation.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default try replacing the one on the cylinder head first. It solved my fan/guage issues.

according to the audi tech that fixed mine it is fairly rare that the one on the bottom of the radiator fails. he could only recall replacing the lower sensor 1-2x in the past couple years, but has replaced a ton of the temp sensors on the back of the head.

Quick Reply: Changed Coolant Temp Sensor, now E-Fan stopped working