A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Checked my oil/Coolant level. I need your help, please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checked my oil/Coolant level. I need your help, please.

The dipstick showed oil at exactly half way up the textured part. This seems perfect.

But then I noticed that the clear plastic container that holds the coolant fluid with the blue cap. The coolant level is about 1/8" below the "MIN" line. Do I need to top it off? If so, should I fill it to the "MAX" line or somewhere inbetween? The manual says that you can recognize the coolant additive by its red color and if it's brown in color, you need to change it immediately cause it's been mixed with something else. Mine's brown! The level is suppossed to be somewhere inbetween the MIN and MAX mark according to the manual but is automatically monitored by the Auto-Check System, however it is still recommended to check it visually from time to time.

Can you guys do me a favor and read your manuals page 251-252 and check your own cars and report back here. I can't stand going to the dealer for every little thing. Thanks!
Old 05-27-2002, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coolant should be pinkish red.. You check when cold or warm ?
Old 05-27-2002, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Cold, only pulled it out of the garage this morning.

Looks like brown dirty water, like when you turn on the faucet after the city has done water pipe construction or something.
Old 05-27-2002, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Does not sound normal at all. Cold, it should be at min level or slightly above.
Old 05-27-2002, 09:02 AM

Default Re: Checked my oil/Coolant level. I need your help, please.

What engine do you have...I can't remember.
If the coolant is brownish that is bad. A friend has a 1.8t Golf that had a bad head gasket, allowing the coolant and oil to mix. Bad news. Hopefully that's not the case here.
Chuck
Old 05-27-2002, 09:21 AM

Default Take it to the dealer immediately - more for the brown color than the level (more)

Mine was slightly below min even when the engine was still warm, so I had them add more. They did a pressure test of the cap/system as well (it looked like some had splattered out of the cap at some point, even though it was tight and the engine had never overheated).

However, that brown color is definitely not good. Make sure you emphasize to them that this is the first time you've checked it and that you did NOT add any coolant on your own (as incompatible coolant will turn it brown - they'll be suspicious).
Old 05-27-2002, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Mine was reading below min when cold also...(more)

so fortunately, I read a C&D article in the new June edition that talked about coolants. The VW family seems to be the only cars using this OAT technology in their coolants. The coolant was a bright pinkish/red. Filled it up using DEX-COOL (orange, but red when in the tank) (its the Texaco one).. mixed with 50% distilled H2O and added some... but your brown color doesnt seem right... taking it to the dealer sounds like the right option.. but for anyone that needs just a small refill... this is the ONLY coolant compatible with OEM Audi coolant.
Old 05-27-2002, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Dammit! Ok, thanks everybody.

But my ABT kit goes on first this week, especially since i won't be driving it while it gets painted and installed. ;o)
Gotta have priorities, right April?
Old 05-27-2002, 03:21 PM

Default i don't think all cars are pink... mine was clear...(more)

thought it was water and brought to the dealer. They tested it and it was good to -40 deg. they talked to Audi and told me it was the Premium coolant. Where they pulling my chain?
Old 05-27-2002, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

mine is clear and at min when cold

Quick Reply: Checked my oil/Coolant level. I need your help, please.